Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Many worthy opinions
Yet I believe that the points set out are very solid:
1) No shroud strand will split at exactly the same point unless the shroud has been compromised beyond average use (even if the vessel has been abused).
2) I sent a PM to Indy that mentioned that 2 to 3 decades ago, a 50 foot ketch got dismasted by running into a bridge in Vancouver, BC. The end result (from the salvaged mast and the rigging strands were stressed beyond belief and the strands were curved (meat hooks). As this vessel was in prime charter condition, productions errors or lack of maintenance were not deemed to be the cause of this accident. However the Charter Client was held at fault for not knowing the difference between Northern BC and a dead end inlet with a low clearance bridge in the opposite direction.
3) The photos that Indy was kind enough to share with this forum also showed a considerable amount of patina on the end of the `split`with a few `bright spots`which is probably where the remaining strands of his shroud parted.

In all, this is not a Mystery movie: Considering the clean squared cut of the shroud, it may have to do with a one time production error.

I also mentioned to Indy, that this issue has since been obviously resolved or there would have been a huge recall to fix this issue.

Those of you that mentioned that it is wise to replace your shrouds on a Wave every few years are right and it is good advice. If the boat has been raced on a regular basis, that might be even more true.

As a past yachtsman, I still scour the ads on the Net looking for my next 'really' nice 35 to 40 footer. I learned long ago to avoid racing yachts or circum navigators like the plague, simple to avoid boats that are tired and worn out due to use.
However if you ever see a nice Finnish Yacht a few years old and has only been raced by someone's Grandma on a Sunday sailing to Church, please don't call...

Respects
Tri