Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering 2006 Wave, but I wanted to know if there are any issues to inspect/be aware of on that particular year.

Also, what changes have gone into the Wave from 2006 to 2012?

Thanks for any input!

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should have the EZ-Loc tillers & rudders with a 2006 model. My 2006 came with the black "tendon" elbows on the tillers, which only lasted about a month. You'll want to make sure you have the updated white tendons or changed to the part number 1956 mechanical elbows.

I can also tell you from experience that you may need to re-seal the access ports under the seat pads, and replace the seat pads as well. Plus, you may need to replace the standing rigging (shrouds, forestay, bridle wires).

The rest is going to depend on how the boat was used and where it was stored. Check the keel lines for plastic loss, from dragging on the ground. Check the trampoline, sails and running rigging for wear or UV damage.

The only other thing that has changed since 2006 is the sail color and graphics.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks much, Indywave!
That is very helpful information...
So, is there a link to an online "Hobie Store" where I can price some of these items (e.g., standing rigging, pads)?
Much appreciated,
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad I could help! I'm sure you'll have fun with your Wave. I sure do!

Hobie always prefers that you shop at their local dealers; but if you click on the Support tab at the top of this page, you can go to the Wave "Parts Guide" page to get all the part numbers, then Google them for prices.

I should have mentioned that salt water accelerates the deterioration of all metal parts, so if the boat has been sailed in or kept near the ocean, check all the hardware for corrosion.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey SailScott
A 2006 is 6 years old. There should be a number of things to look for:

1) Look the hulls over carefully. that's what floats your boat. Scratches aren't an issue, however look close at the seals of the hull to the fittings.
2) Look at the rigging. If it has gotten 'copper' discoloured (look at the fittings for the shrouds) that may need for a shroud replacement. Same goes for the halyard and your mainsheet. A 'soft' and bleached halyard means it needs to replaced. The wire/rope connection should also have no 'copper color' on them or it is only a matter of time until you pay for a new one.
3) Color: Look at the main sail. Is it bleached out? If so, it has been 'sun struck' and possibly worn out by overexposure to the sun, Not a cheap item to replace. Plus if it is worn out, you'll end up getting frustrated with a sail that can't perform.
4) Look at your rudders: Those are the ''foils' that keep you smoking. You can sand and polish out any nicks but if the rudders have chunks missing, so will your sailing due to drag. Look also very carefully at your rudder pins. Shake them hard with a wrench. If there is looseness, you are in for a costly repair job. The same goes for the bows. Try to move them. If there is movement, you've truly got a worn out boat that you may want to pass on (for obvious reasons).
5) Your trampoline is the 'deck' of your boat. If it is discolored or there is wear around the rails to keep it in place....again a costly replacement.
6) Look at the rivets that make up your boat connections. They need to be flat and there should be zero movement when you work them hard to what they are attached to.

I wish you luck in finding your right boat, but like any 'aged Lady' caution needs to be used to insure that you don't carry someone else's baggage.

Best wishes SailScott. PM me if you need further detail on how to look 'really' close at your possible purchase.

Best Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Indy and Tri!
Thanks so much for all of the awesome advice. (I'll definitely use it as a checklist!)
This Hobie Forum/Community is an amazing wealth of information and support!
Thanks, guys!
Scott