Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fellow Wave owners, what's better? Do you prefer the tiller crossbar in front of the main sheet, or behind it? Why?

I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the tiller crossbar on my '98 Wave in front of the main sheet blocks, or should I shorten the tiller arms and move the crossbar behind the main sheet blocks (like the EZ Loc rudders are).
I have very little experience on my newly purchased Wave, so I'm looking for your opinions on this.
The only thing I've thought of so far is boat balance. It seems on higher wind days, having the crossbar behind the main sheet blocks would allow me to sit further back and help keep the bows from digging in, but maybe on lighter wind days I want to sit further forward and it will be hard to reach the crossbar if it's behind the blocks???

Please help me decide.

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

If not using a hiking stick... forward is better. The EZ Loc rudders require the crossbar aft of the mainsheet because of the orientation of the crossbar when rudders are up. It is way high up and would be in the sail if forward. That is why it is the way it is.

No problem getting aft with the way your's is set up. Easier to get forward which you need to do in many conditions.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting that Hobie moved the crossbar behind the main sheet just so it wouldn't hit the sail when you raise the rudders.

I'd still like to hear some opinions from Wave owners on whether they like the crossbar forward or aft and why.

I've even thought about having 2 different crossbar/tiller arm set ups, a short one (behind the main sheet) for high wind days, and a long one (in front of the main sheet) for low wind days.

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hammbone wrote:
Interesting that Hobie moved the crossbar behind the main sheet just so it wouldn't hit the sail when you raise the rudders.

With the EZ LOC function... you could not raise the rudders if the tiller was forward. The crossbar is really high and would pull up and aft on the sail and mainsheet. Rudders would not stay up and sails could get damaged.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand Matt.

I guess I was just surprised that this was the reason for moving the tiller crossbar back.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

That was the hardest decision. I loved the tiller forward design. The easier over-all function of the EZ LOC won.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out in moderate winds the other day (12 to 15mph) for my first time, with my "in front of the main sheet" crossbar and my bows were digging in pretty good. I wanted to move back to balance the boat better, but I couldn't move back any further because of the crossbar location.

I am now thinking I would like to have 2 different crossbar/tiller arm set ups, a short one (behind the main sheet) for high wind days, and a long one (in front of the main sheet) for low wind days.

I already have the longer, low wind set up, which is my stock '98 crossbar/tiller arms.
I already have an EZ Loc crossbar too, for the shorter, high wind set up. I just need to purchase another pair of tiller arms for the shorter, high wind set up.
My question is: would I be better of buying the EZ Loc tiller arms, or should I get another set of the older style tiller arms and shorten them? Would the EZ Loc tiller arms work in my aluminum rudder castings? Should I get the older style tiller arms, which would allow me to keep the offset (they curve in toward the center of the boat)? Or do I want the EZ Loc tiller arms which curve upwards? Is there another reason one tiller arm set would work better for me? Or does it not matter much which ones I get, and I just get the EZ Loc arms because they are cheaper?

Thanks, Jim