Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby Bob repair
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody know if I can take off, and securely reattach the two shiny brackets that attach the Bob to the comptip tip on a wave? I'm worried that if I take the screws out that the thickened plastic? or perhaps nut? or "expansion" sleeve on the inside will fall off/be compromised and I won't be albe to reattach the brackets securely.
Why am I doing this? During 30-40mph gusts yesterday, the boat had its most violent and thrilling pitchpole of the year and got to a 70-degree turtle and anchored in a muddy lake bottom before I decided I'd had enough drifting and got to right it. The Bob brackets bent from their usual 90 degree angle to perhaps 70 degrees to port .... so I now need to gently straighten them in a vise! It would be easiest if I take the brackets off the Bob first. Any advice very welcome.

Post subject: Re: Baby Bob repair
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah go ahead and take it off. I've taken mine off and reattached it with impunity so you're OK. Not something I'd want to do often, the screws are stainless and the plastic is soft, but if you're careful ... and of course you will be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, have removed the brackets, now for some vise-bending. Is that loctite or equivalent on those screws (that actually screw into metal (not plastic) threaded holes)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well now you're telling me something. I didn't remember that there were metal inserts in the plastic. Good idea, that. I thought Loctite needed steel and wouldn't work on stainless, but I've taken apart stainless fittings that had blue stuff on them so I guess somebody thinks its great. I don't remember if I put threadlocker on mine when I reassembled it. I think trailering and vibration has got to be worse than my normal mode which is mast up on the beach.

Thanks for the reminder.