Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My initial plan was to sail my Wave at the beach on the Gulf of Mexico in the Port Aransas area when conditions would allow and to sail on Corpus Christi Bay when the surf was too high to launch at Port A or when the winds were coming out of the north. If I was on the Gulf and had a breakdown of any sort, a northerly wind would push me down the Texas coast a long long way.

The only place to beach launch on Corpus Christi Bay that I know of is in an area called North Beach. North Beach is on the west side of the bay, but on the north side of Corpus Christi. The other areas of the bay that I know of are unapproachable. This is the only sandy beach area I can get close to. The City has blocked most of the access to North Beach with bollards to keep cars off the beach. There is an area I launched at twice before, but when I went there on Christmas day I discovered an extra bollard, blocking my access.

Unless I figure something else out, I think I am down to two options. I can limit myself to the Gulf at Port A, or if I want to sail on the Bay I might try launching at the boat ramp at Corpus Christi marina. It is a typical paved boat ramp. My trailer is not suitable to be lowered into saltwater, and wouldn't last very long if I started dunking it every time I sail.

So the question is, how do I get the boat on and off the trailer, and in and out of the water, on pavement without tearing up the hull?

Has anybody here used a paved boat ramp to access the water?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It can be done but you need two people ( for the most speed ).... Assuming the boat is fully rigged, mast up in parking lot, sail on the tramp, partially started about a foot or two up and there are NO powerlines/trees between there and the water. Ive done my Hobie 16 this way and it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes ready to sail from the time your tires touch the top of the ramp. Should be less with only a mainsail to hoist and its a smaller, lighter boat.

Back boat Into water from ramp with paddle and sail(s) on the tramp and paddle over to a nearby beach ect that's not crowded, point boat into the wind and host sail while the second person parks the car and trailer. You can do it directly on the ramp if you bring some scrap 10x10 carpet and a cinder block to hold the corners down while you rig - this is assuming no one else is in line to use the ramp and its a slow traffic day and/or a huge boat ramp. The best obviously is to paddle the boat to a more remote spot and rig there. If you're lucky, there's sand right beside the ramp! :mrgreen:

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fxloop wrote:
It can be done but you need two people ( for the most speed ).... Assuming the boat is fully rigged, mast up in parking lot, sail on the tramp, partially started about a foot or two up and there are NO powerlines/trees between there and the water. Ive done my Hobie 16 this way and it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes ready to sail from the time your tires touch the top of the ramp. Should be less with only a mainsail to hoist and its a smaller, lighter boat.

Back boat Into water from ramp with paddle and sail(s) on the tramp and paddle over to a nearby beach ect that's not crowded, point boat into the wind and host sail while the second person parks the car and trailer. You can do it directly on the ramp if you bring some scrap 10x10 carpet and a cinder block to hold the corners down while you rig - this is assuming no one else is in line to use the ramp and its a slow traffic day and/or a huge boat ramp. The best obviously is to paddle the boat to a more remote spot and rig there. If you're lucky, there's sand right beside the ramp! :mrgreen:

Getting my Wave on and off the trailer and moving around on the beach is much more difficult than I had anticipated. But, I guess you are backing the trailer with the boat down the ramp and then pushing the boat off of the trailer and onto the ramp? Do you raise your mast while on the trailer? How do you get the boat out of the water and back onto the trailer? A trailer that can be backed into the water would be a huge benefit for this application. There are places that I would like to sail that I don't see how to access apart from a ramp.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have beach wheels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

abbman wrote:
Do you have beach wheels?

I bought a dolly from Dynamic Dollies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a Tandem Island that we launch from a public concrete boat ramp when the beach we normally launch from at the Sarasota sailing squadron is too busy(they have a lot of huge regattas there, and it gets really crowded on weekends).
What we do is with the boat strapped to the trailer we raise the mast, rig everything (tramps, etc) away from the ramp in an open area usually near the ramp out of everyones way (in your case you will have your sail ready to go piled on the tramp). When we are ready we back up to the water with the trailer tires just touching the water, then shove the boat off the trailer, then go tie it up to a pole (at the launch dock (in your case pointed to the wind if you can)), we then go park the car come back and take off from there. When we come back we do the same, we tie up to the dock with the boat fully rigged (out of everyones way (you may want to take your sail down there and pile it on the tramp, but leave the mast up)) then go get the car and backup to the waters edge, then bring the boat up to the trailer lift the front of the bow onto the rollers then winch the boat onto the trailer (just like powerboaters do it). We added a winch and rollers at the back of the trailer specifically so we can do this. Because our hull is very soft (like yours) I try not to drive right up to the concrete (cuts the bottom up). Once the boat is on the trailer and strapped down, I drive away from the ramp to a clear area close by and break the boat down (step the mast, put away the tramps, rinse the boat off (when water is available (most public ramps here have water, but you have to BYO water hose), of course you have to steer clear of power lines and trees. We get along fine with the power boaters, watch out for the barnacles at the dock if your in salt water, they will cut your hull to shreds.
I've seen quite a few put their sail up as well in the parking lot when the wind is very light.
Adding a winch and rollers at the back of the trailer makes a huge difference if you launch at public ramps a lot.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a winch or rollers on my trailer, but I can see how that would make things easier.

If I managed to get the boat off the trailer and into the water, I wonder how well I would be able to paddle a short distance with that collapsible paddle that came with the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea I just went to Harbor Freight and picked up a small winch (less than $25 bucks), then just found a roller that I could rig on the back end of the trailer (something to lift the bow onto (you will need two), the winch prevents the boat from sliding back, or turning while sitting on just the rollers). I know pretty much how far the winch needs to be out, and have that ready when I lift the bow, I then just snap the winch onto a handy location on the bow, then I don't have to worry about the boat falling back off (especially when it's windy or choppy), I then take my time and just winch it the rest of the way up, usually fully rigged (why do all the muscle work when you don't need to (most ramps are very steep), I'm usually pretty spent and pooped out when I come in anyway). I think the winches with the flat nylon strap material work best (mine originally came with a metal cable (kind of a pain), I converted mine myself. I've also seen guys out there with electric cordless drills winding their boats up with the winch (good idea).
What I do once I get the boat off the trailer is walk it to the end of the dock (most of the launches around here have nice long docks that powerboats use to load and unload all their gear and passengers before pulling onto the ramp, tie it up pointed to the wind if you can, I've see quite a few guys take off sailing right from end of the launch dock, some of these cat guys are unbelievable at it (like the F18 guys), I'm not in that league, I use the brail method ( LOL).
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Yea I just went to Harbor Freight and picked up a small winch (less than $25 bucks), then just found a roller that I could rig on the back end of the trailer (something to lift the bow onto (you will need two), the winch prevents the boat from sliding back, or turning while sitting on just the rollers). I know pretty much how far the winch needs to be out, and have that ready when I lift the bow, I then just snap the winch onto a handy location on the bow, then I don't have to worry about the boat falling back off (especially when it's windy or choppy), I then take my time and just winch it the rest of the way up, usually fully rigged (why do all the muscle work when you don't need to (most ramps are very steep), I'm usually pretty spent and pooped out when I come in anyway). I think the winches with the flat nylon strap material work best (mine originally came with a metal cable (kind of a pain), I converted mine myself. I've also seen guys out there with electric cordless drills winding their boats up with the winch (good idea).
What I do once I get the boat off the trailer is walk it to the end of the dock (most of the launches around here have nice long docks that powerboats use to load and unload all their gear and passengers before pulling onto the ramp, tie it up pointed to the wind if you can, I've see quite a few guys take off sailing right from end of the launch dock, some of these cat guys are unbelievable at it (like the F18 guys), I'm not in that league, I use the brail method ( LOL).
Hope this helps

The Wave will not point into the wind as well as those other boats you mentioned. That makes sailing out of tight spots more difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Polyethylene takes a long time to wear off the bottom on a paved ramp but you will wear a little off each time. Hull is very thick there but is almost irreparable should you wear enough off to get through. I've got a 20 year old boat, mfg May '95. It has about 1/4 inch worn off the skeg. Still water tight but I am concerned that it may go to far If I don't baby it a little. 'Wilson' as I call it, is a testament to the durability of the boat and their near indestructibility. It also retains its value in the 2-3g range if in good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would replace your trailer with an aluminum or galvanized trailer. Or run through a carwash with it and hose it down after launching. I certainly wouldn't drag the boat across concrete.

I always launch from a paved ramp. I rig the boat in the parking lot, unplug the trailer lights and water launch the boat. I do sail in fresh water, so no concern with salt corrosion.

(edit) On consideration, it occurs to me that if you back the trailer so the back of it is over water with the wheels just at the water's edge, you could probably water launch without submersing the trailer. Recovering it may be tricky...if you have someone to winch it while you lifted the bows up to the rollers, or if you had a tilting trailer, might make it possible.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Last edited by dorienc on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I launch on a concrete ramp all the time with my 16. I could see launching without putting the trailer into the water as others have described. I'm launching into freshwater, so it's no harm to the trailer.
It is more of a challenge to bring the boat back up to a dock after sailing, especially if it is crowded. I usually am able to raise and lower the sails at the dock, facing into the wind. The launch has trees blocking the wind normally, otherwise I do have to lower sails on the water and paddle in. I say a bad day of sailing is when you have to break out the paddle. :D

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I launch my H18 off the trailer into salt water. I rinse at the boat wash after each time in and out of the water.