Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase sail numbers and letters ? I'm finding it a bit more costly than anticipated. Is applying them something that one can easily do themselves?

Post subject: Re: Sail Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ordered mine from the local Hobie dealer. They had a book with lots of different fonts and sizes. I chose a font and size that I thought looked good with the Hobie logo on the sail.

Applying them straight is a little tricky, since the cut of the sail is varying angles. I laid my sail flat on the floor, and used the Hobie logo as a "straight" reference. I used a t-square to draw my guide lines, but you could just lay a big box below the bottom of the logo, and draw a pencil line on the sail along the opposite side of the box. When you put the numbers on the other side, you'll want them offset so they can be read when the sun shines through; so maybe use two boxes for that guide line.

Lay your numbers along the guide lines and tape them down where they look right, then remove the backing one at a time to apply permanently.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. My local Hobie dealer didn't have them. Do you remember what you paid for them and what size you got? Did your numbers ever curl off at the edges?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The numbers are 10 inches tall. (The Hobie H is 12".) I have no idea what I paid, but I remember they weren't cheap.

In six years, I've never had a problem with them staying stuck all over.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For one sail I bought Laser numbers. They come as a figure 8 and you cut out parts to make another number. Cheap guys notice you can make two number ones from a single 8. There are incredibly detailed instructions on how to put numbers on a Laser. I used those as a guideline for spacing and such. They come in red and black. The ones on the starboard side of the sail are supposed to be higher than the other side.

For the other sail I bought insignia cloth from a sailmaker and made a pattern on my computer's printer, stapled two layers of cloth together with the pattern and cut them out with scissors. The edges are a little wavy but at the incredible speed I can generate with my Wave, nobody notices. They come in a bunch of colours.