Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a very old, vintage 1995 Wave that I bought when I was in college. I have converted it to a club wave and done all sorts of upgrades to it over the years. One of the things I did last year out of necessity was that I had to replace the old curved rubber tiller bar (I redneck-engineered it for a short time with two pieces of radiator hoses and hose clamps!) with the newer style tiller bar that uses joints that look like they have a small piece of PEX tubing in them.

Well, after installing the new tiller bar, I noticed that the rudders now aim apart from each other when looking at the rear of the boat, almost like the tiller bar is too short or something. I've sailed it a few times, but obviously, this causes some performance degradation (until you fly a hull!) Any way to correct this glitch?

I'm thinking about cutting the tiller bar in the middle, and then "sleeving" a slightly smaller, or larger piece of alumnium piping on it, and fastening it in place to compensate for the lack of length. Would this work? Any better solutions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

.. is there a chance that the rudders can be swapped ( port to starboard ) ? the tiller arms usually have a bow inboard to attach to the tiller crossbar, and will toe out when they are on opposite sides, but this may not be the case with your custom modifications ..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

The 90 Degree bend elbow style had a shorter bar, so requires a longer one with the tube / tendons. Yes, reversing the rudders will cause toe out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)