Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I currently sail a Wave, mostly off a Destin beach. I've begun looking at the Tandem Island as a possible addition (or replacement). It seems more versatile for my needs. Does anyone own both a Wave and Tandem Island or sailed both ?

I'm looking for pros and cons from someone with first hand sailing experience.

thanx,
bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Live west of you in Ms. Had the Island , but mostly sailed by myself. Sold it and bought a wave, missed the speed of cats. Have a pro angler for fishing when the wind is light . Had my island on a trailer, set up time is about the same as the wave. Kind of wish i would have gotten the Adventure Island. (single seat). The island was nice when the wind died, you could always peddle back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cooldudecaptain :

I probably have a different take on sailing and going out on the water than most, I just like to go out there and do as much as possible 'water related' (ie.. scuba diving, snorkeling, destination sailing (like island hopping)). Though I don't fish (except spear fishing, and lobstering), I appreciate those that do. As a former powerboater (can't afford that anymore) I need a boat to do everything water related that we used to do with our powerboats (without the huge expense). This doesn't mean I no longer like to go out on the water, always will love to do that. Another big thing for us is with powerboats we could access 10% of the inter-coastal waterways (channels), with the TI it's over 95%, you can easily sail or paddle over a sand bar in 5-6 inches of water, or pull the sail down and snake thru mangrove tunnels, all with the same boat.

In my opinion the two boats are completely different boats designed for different purposes. The wave is a beach/day sailer pretty much designed specifically to do exactly what it does well, but that's about it. I have never seen anyone fishing off a wave, and have almost never seen anyone destination sailing a wave loaded down with camping gear, and trying to get somewhere 20-300 miles away. I can't remember ever seeing a Wave/ Laser/Sunfish going up or down a river. I see lots of Waves, Lasers, sunfish, etc all the time out in Sarasota bay, 99% of the time just zigging back and forth close to the harbor or competing against each other sailing around bouys (not my thing at all). Since it's a one design class type boat no modifications are allowed so the same boats they sail now are exactly the same as boats built 40-50 yrs ago in some cases. I used to own a sunfish back in the 60's and hated it then, for the life of me I can't figure out why that design has continued unchanged for 60+ yrs (it sucked then and it sucks now in my opinion), like it's locked in time.

If that's your thing then that's not what the Adventure boats are all about. The Adventures (AI/TI) are like SUV's they can do pretty much anything you task them to do. There is no time that you cannot take a AI/TI out, no wind, high winds (within reason) just doesn't matter.
We are campers and have traveled quite a bit (over 200,000 miles) with camper in tow and kayaks on the roof. We have been out scuba diving coral reefs at our place in Key West 10-15 miles from launch with full scuba gear (tanks, BC's, coolers, etc) one day, then the next day spend the day kayaking 30 miles up and down the Sante Fe river (in kayak mode without the sails and AMA's). Then two weeks later run the class 2 rapids of the Huron river (Ann Arbor Michigan), then a week later pedal/sail out to Mackinac Island for the day all with the same exact boats (true story).

Both boats are very well made and do well at what they are intended for, so either is a very good choice. I guess you need to decide what you want to do with your boat and how you plan to use it, then select the boat that fits you lifestyle and needs. They both cost about the same. If you are alone 95% of the time then and AI might be the best choice, if you want a family type boat where you can take your whole family out then a TI, Wave, or Getaway might be in order.
There is no boat out there that fits everyone's needs for everything.
You are forbidden to modify the wave in any way shape or form (class rules).
Most Islands are heavily modified with whatever the owner likes to use their boats for, things like motors, trampolines, HAKA's, Lorance sonar systems, off shore radios, custom seating, fancy gear tackle/rod holding systems, live wells, you name it and people have it on their TI's (though I have not seen one with a Raymarine radar system yet (it's just a matter of time (LOL)).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

While I agree with the above poster on just about everything, I thought I'd just mention one point. He makes it sound like it's "against the law" to modify a Wave. It's only restricted if you plan on racing. The many mods he mentions on the Island are not really racing mods. I actually agree with his premise though. I just thought that it was unfairly missing the "racing" caveat for other recreational sailors who may read it.

The Wave is an awesome day sailor and does a great job at getting me sailing fast so I can enjoy it most often. For me, being able to get on the water quickly is my main concern. Winds look inviting on my drive home from work? I can be on the water in 10 minutes, get a sail in and be back in time for dinner. Feel like going to the beach? Lets throw a picnic on the Wave and sail over to the beach instead of taking the car. It's about combining convenience into the fun.

You have to be imaginative to carry cargo though. Not impossible but it takes some thought. On days we plan on hitting the beaches for the better part of a day, we manage to strap down a flexible, waterproof cooler, 2 small 'foldy' beach chairs and a drybag or two full of towels, spare cloths, books, sunscreen, etc. That leaves just enough room for my wife and I to sail comfortably. 3 would be possible but it would be crowded with just that bit of gear.

Therefore if I'm going camping via water, We take our sea kayaks for thier ability to store more gear in a more confident and dry manner. A Hobie Tandem Island is certainly in my future as the natural progression to adding sail power to our overnight, water excursions. It truly is the SUV of sailboats.

Not sure if this helps you make a decision but I'm assuming you asked so you could get more people's opinions than less.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murph:
Yea that was a little misleading what I said about one class boats in general, anyone can mod their boat any way they like, as long as they don't plan to race in one class racing. In my experience I have seen very few heavily modified lasers, sunfish, waves, etc. my only point was that most islands are modified by the users to suite their needs. There are no one class or Portsmouth ratings on adventure boats but many are raced in events like the watertribe Everglades challenge (www.watertribe.com) which is an annual 300 mile race from ft desoto to key largo fl (not for the feint of heart).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That looks fun. 300 miles is above my skill level/ambitions though. I've done multiple, week or more long kayak excursions but I have never raced as part of them. That changes everything, I expect.