Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

We picked up a 1995 hobie wave today. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) It has the hobie 14 mast base and I believe it is well worn; the step seems fine but the two are definitely rubbing. The base has a nipple on the base. I'm guessing that it is from years of use and the fact that the boat was moored on a lake. I used to use a plastic washer in my hobie 16s about twenty years ago. Is the same done with this style mast base?

2) Right above the top gudgeons there are two small cracks about half in length(on top of the boxed out part. Bolts were a bit loose but I could tighten them no problem. I think it was just a bit of stress caused by the fact that the bolts were not tight. Should I be concerned about these and if so, what if anything can be done to reinforce. I am probably over thinking it but I figured someone out there has some experience with this.

3) The boat came with a brand new mainsail from FX sails (2013), new bridle wires and forestay. It could use some new sidestays. I was going to make my own and add some seven hole adjusters, or short enough to shackle direct to the holes. I was going to add a ten hole adjuster to the forestay. Not sure of shroud length though. Any ideas on how I could size it correctly?

The rudders are fiberglass, which was a pleasant surprise. The tramp has a little life left in it, although it is probably worth biting the bullet and replacing it. We picked the the boat up for a $1,000. Seemed like a very reasonable price.

Thx Pete

Thanks Pete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One more question. The fairleads for tensioning the are riveted to the bottom of the crossbar. Is that oky or do I risk pulling them out? I have not seen it done that way in any manuals I have been able to find. The previous owner did not have it tensioned correctly, so historical use of the fairleads will not give me a hint. Pete