Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blocks for Wave
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to upgrade my standard blocks on my Wave to a triple pulley block system or something similar. My line simply pulls too hard in a heavy wind. Can someone suggest a block system that will reduce the pull (and pain) on my hand when holding the line in heavy winds? I do wear gloves.

2003 Wave
South Dakota USA

Post subject: Re: Blocks for Wave
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're not going to race the boat you can do what you want. If you are going to race it, ever, you're limited to 4:1 which is what the stock blocks give you. However, according to me, YMMV, you need a ratchet and a precisely aimed jam cleat so you can sail a lot of the time with the mainsheet cleated off. I switched to the Harken 2675 57 mm Fiddle Ratchet — Swivel, Cam Cleat and a 2642 40 mm Double at the top. The ratchet helps you to hold it with much less pressure. And when it's cleated off it's ... easy. You had better be ready to uncleat it in a heartbeat or you'll swim.

Post subject: Re: Blocks for Wave
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I added this block. http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?sku=HSB411 for the ratcheting action.
I didn't find the main sheet on my wave overly hard to control in high winds but the ratchet certainly made it more comfortable to hold in place. Good results for a single purchase vs. 2 new blocks and a new line to increase the ratio. If your having trouble hauling the main sheet in though, this may not be enough of what your looking for.

I did not purchase the accompanying, lower fiddle as I didn't see it adding enough benefit to worry about. The stock one works fine.

The traveler kit may also be of interest to you if you like the bigger winds. Most people buy it to tweak a little extra speed but an added benefit is also that it can be helpful when a big 'undesired' wind comes up. By adjusting the traveler to reduce pressure on the sail, the whole thing becomes much more manageable.

Note: I do not race. No one here to race against....