Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave racing questions!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fellow Wave sailors and racers in general...I am a novice multi-hull sailor and a racing newbie. We have the Wine and Roses regatta coming up out here in Santa Barbara and I am thinking of entering, for the sake of meeting some Hobie people and having some competitive fun on my boat. I have a completely stock 2002 Hobie Wave Club, except for the trampoline. I've never raced a sailboat of any type before, but I did watch quite a bit of the America's cup last year :D Anyway, here are my questions in no particular order:

1. Where is the best place to learn the rules of racing, in a simple format for the newbie?
2. What if anything will I need to do to my boat?
3. Do I need to join the HCANA? If I don't need to, should I?
4. I have an aftermarket trampoline on my boat. Am I out of luck or can I race for the fun of it anyway?
5. Any tuning tips?
6. Any sailing tips?
7. Should I forget the whole idea an just go watch?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And another question:

My sail doesn't have any numbers. Where do the sail numbers come from?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1... At a regatta :) Port tack must keep clear of Starboard. Windward needs to keep clear of Leeward.. That is all you NEED to know to enjoy your first boat race... Everything else will come with time or be covered at the skippers meeting.

This game is pretty handy if you want to go deeper http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

2 Get it on the water :D

3. It depends on the regatta.. If it is HCANA regatta, yes.. If it isn't you still should join anyway.. Supporting the class means once you get hooked (which you will) the class will be there to support you. :)

http://www.hcanamembers.com/

4. Your tramp isn't class legal... So... technically you aren't class legal.. I would be shocked at a local regatta to see anyone make a big deal out of it.. Just go race. Worry about the tramp later..

5. No idea on the hobie wave..

6.. HA! Talk about a loaded (very broad) question... :lol: I can tell you that you will learn more racing in one regatta weekend than you will playing every day all summer on your own.

7. For heavens sakes... No.. don't sit on the beach.. Get out there and race.. if you are really worried about it maybe volunteer to help with Race committee.. or whatever... Just get out there.. You are going to have a good time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Look aroung the internet for racing rules.
Here are a few I had saved.
I have seen racing with numbers on the bow.

http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

http://www.hobiefleet61.org/the-rules-corner

I agree with ronholm. Go and have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent feedback - I think I am going to give this a try! Thank you for your responses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mistro,

Welcome to the Waves! This is a fun boat to race or simply sail for pure enjoyment.

There is an Hobie Wave class that was created by like-minded Wave sailors. It was started by Rick White and others after they had approached Hobie to create an official class. But Hobie essentially said that the Wave was never intended as a race boat it was a bullet proof recreational boat for use by resorts. There were a bunch of experienced catamaran sailors who campained hard during the 80's and 90's who are now, let is say, of an age where setting up a complicated boat isn't as much fun.

Take a look at the Web site for the Hobie Wave Class at http://www.catsailor.com/waves/wave.html. Joining the class is easy and cheap - it costs $10.00 to join - and they will let you pick a number from the list that are available. We put the numbers on the bow of each hull rather than on the sail.

As you sail, where you are sitting on the boat can make all the difference. When by yourself keep yourself forward most of the time to keep the hulls trimmed level fore and aft.

And get out onto the water as much as you can. You can't beat time on the boat.

Enjoy!

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Mistro, That is an excellent list of questions. From a Hobie racer who has raced every year since 2002, I'll take a stab at some brief answers. I've avidly raced and studied the sport, racing H14,16,17 and now the Wave. A friend and mentor has repeated often to me a quote he attributes to Paul Elvstrom: 'The smallest boats are the best classroom'. The Wave seems to be no exception. I've been racing the Wave this year, and sailiing every week on Lake Mead, Nevada. The little boat is parked next to my monoslug at Lake Mead Marina. I have a '95 classic version which is in great shape. These boats hold up and hold their value. I'm impressed with the hull design in particular. In strong wind it feels like I'm sailing on marbles.

Here goes:

1. Where is the best place to learn the rules of racing, in a simple format for the newbie?

Get the current RRS (racing rules of sailing) for reference purposes. When you race, things will come up, giving you something to look up and learn from. As you are new, here are a few absolutes that will help.

A. Behavior and sportsmanship - Some skippers like to yell and intimidate their opponents, a violation that if enforced carries a stiff penalty. It is seldom protested or enforced, especially among Hobie Racers. I've developed a reply that helps which is 'Grow Up!'. Otherwise, I say nothing and sail away.

B. Avoid collisions at all costs, even if you are having a great race. The consequenses are usually disqualification, as well as halting a good regatta while the Race Committee comes to the aid of broken boats and possibly hurt sailors or sailorettes (it is rare). The rotomolded Wave can inflict nasty breaks on a fiberglass boat. Learn to sail around pile ups at the start line and racing marks, as well as anything else that looks like trouble. Don't hesitate to stop and help a capsized boatcrew or any situation where somebody needs help. You get redress from Race Committee for the courtesy.

C. Learn Port/Starboard right of way rules and mark rounding rights as well. Going to as many races as possible will be the best classroom on rules as not only will you get front row seating on course, but off you have a lot of experienced racers who are conversant with the rules and can explain most with a drawing in the sand. I consider one race to give you about 10 times the learning experience as a day of sailing and race practice at your closest lake or ocean beach.

2. What if anything will I need to do to my boat?

The IHCA Wave rules are less than two pages long. The boat needs little modification for racing or tuning. Get the 10 hole chain plate for your forestay/bridle connection so you can rake the mast. My experience is that the boat becomes a new animal. install a tiller extension for front of the boat helmsmanship. Needed in light air to weather, as well as downwind in most condiitions. Not much else to do except maybe tapered battens on 2nd and 3rd pockets up.

3. Do I need to join the HCANA? If I don't need to, should I?

For 25 bucks you can read the Hobie Hotline online and be featured in the HCA rankings for Waves. Official scoring and ranking is for members only. Participation is for everyone.

4. I have an aftermarket trampoline on my boat. Am I out of luck or can I race for the fun of it anyway?

The Hobiecat tramps are prettier and last longer, but nobody is going to care at the race about your aftermarket tramp. You'll probably see others as well. My 19 year old Hobie tramp has been in the sun for 19 years and is still strong.

5. Any tuning tips?

Can't think of much you can do. Everything allowed or prohibited is in the brief list of Hobie Wave Class rules
6. Any sailing tips?

TOW - Time On the Water

7. Should I forget the whole idea an just go watch?

That would be a pity. I've won a few regattas and had some shining moments, but nothing beats hanging out with the great people that populate this sport and busting up at the things that happen out there that you got to see up close.

8. Sail numbers? Hobiecat Co. makes them. If you want color have a graphic shop make you a transfer vinyl set. Just make them the proper size so race committee can see them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

See you at Santa Barbara Wine & Roses Regatta!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you to all that have replied - extremely helpful! Here's where I am in the process:

1. I've registered for the regatta.
2. I've joined the HCA-NA.
3. I've joined the IWCA - I am now hull number 55.
4. I've read up on the rules.
5. I may order the 10-hole forestay adjuster. Not sure yet.
6. I don't have a tiller extension but it makes sense. I think this is going to be another sport that is going to cause spending skepticism with my wife.

One last question. I have a traveler on my boat - is that legal?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Gordo, looking forward to meeting you up there. My boat is named "Big Dog".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any makeshift tiller will do. Just something so you can get up front. Pretty important. I've seen em velcroed on to the crossbar and made out of a cheap plastic broomhandle cut to fit.

didn't know a traveler could be found on a wave, I'm still new as well to the boat so maybe hobiecat made some with those. Don't think it will help much but maybe. I'm happy with just one string to pull, so would not be likely to put one on. Simple is better in racing as too much technical gets one's eyes and attention off the game.

racing without the 10 hole just makes the boat punch the bows a little more, and it seems faster with the rake, though coudn't be that much. What raking does is increase the sail power plan over the skeg and rudders, bettering helm and you might get less side slip in light wind. Santa Barbara is typically a light to medium air venue, but you never know.

Watch out for 'Wilson'. Yes, that one from the movie. 'Wilson' showed up on a Florida beach after a hurricane maybe 10 years ago. All parts intact, but no sail. Pretty scratched up but solid and fast!!!! Haha

As for cost, you've got a boat that doesn't need big spending at all. Nothing legal will give you a boatspeed advantage. It is all about learning technique and tactics.

The word is HOOB! Means get your 'Head Out Of the Boat' and into the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh - forgot to say it is highly likely that somebody will have a 10 hole plate for you to borrow or get for a song. Well, I don't know if you can sing, but you get it, right!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A lot of us are parts hoarders.