Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone,

I'm about to dismantle my Wave for storage over the winter, and have never pulled it apart before. In fact, since purchasing it about 3 years ago, I've only dropped the mast twice!

I've found a few helpful videos on YouTube that show how to ASSEMBLE the Wave, but does anyone have any tips or experience with DISassembling it? Can I do it solo or will I need help? Will I be able to split the mast into two sections? I'm planning to store it over winter in a space that's just over 20' long.

Any advice, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

stuart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stuart,
If it's any help I do this each fall so I can store the boat under the deck at the side of the house. It's all pretty much like the video only in reverse. According to me you still need help to pull the pin in the forestay while you stand on the tramp and then lower the mast. Put the pin back in the adjuster in the same place you took it out, probably top hole. Make sure you have the mast erection pin in the mast base before you start. Now here's the trick. When you have the mast down leave the pin in the base and, standing on the ground, hold the mast up at the top, by the Bob, and shake it fairly vigorously while you pull it apart. Sometimes I have to rest after a couple of tries. Sometimes I have to rest my shoulder against the Bob and push backwards while I shake it. Have faith, it will come out. I trailer mine with the mast apart and it hasn't gotten stuck yet.

As a thought: my boat started out in life as a "Classic" and so the bridle wires have clips on the end. This makes taking down and putting up the mast easier because the helper doesn't need any skill at all. Just snap on the clips and they're done. The Classic bridles are a little expensive but they are convenient. The only downside I can see is that a casual interfering type person or vandal could just unclip the wire and the mast would fall down. It hasn't happened to me yet. Leave me your email and I'll tell you if it does 8-).

Take care.

Charles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pulling the crossbeams out of the hulls was my most challenging portion. One was particularly sticky. I was by myself though. It would have been much easier if I had help. The rest was a breeze. I took pictures of where the tramp lacing comes together. It's not complicated but it's easier to look at a pic after the down season than to scratch your head for a minute or two.

I hung my hulls from the ceiling in my garage where I used to hang my sea kayaks to gain some space. The kayaks stayed on the fold up, wall rack which is thier summer home anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks very much Charles and Murph_PEI -- great tips. I'll be storing the Wave right next to my sea kayak, which *will* get a workout this winter.

Wish me luck!

stuart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again for the advice Charles and Murph_PEI. Dismantling the Wave turned out to be really easy -- from start to finish in about 3 hours. Pulling the crossbeams out turned out to be pretty easy, as did splitting the mast. The hardest part was storing the dismantled boat in my ridiculously small back yard!

https://flic.kr/p/nQZ2Lc

stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That works. I like the MacGuivered brackets for the hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Taking the mast down by yourself is doable, too...or it was on my 16s.

Put a good sized carabinier on a block and clip it to the shackle on the bottom of the forestay at the bridles....tie a line to the mast, run it to the block and back to the mast and tie it off..the higher up the mast u tie it, the better leverage u have.
Pull pin/ disconnect forestay.
Untie bottom line @ mast and sloooowly feed line thru block while lowering mast.

I used to sail a lot in the fall when my town is pretty much deserted....necessity is the mother etc etc