Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to insert a batten in the Hobie Wave Sail to tight? I tried to tighten the batten (second from the bottom) and it appeared to be to far into the sleeve as the batten had difficulty when tacking/jibbing and the batten disformed the sail until it filled with the wind on the next tack/jib. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Over the years, the best advice I've received (from the champions) is to tighten the batten such that it will just pop back and forth when in hand as you are doing the job before pulling up the sail. Too tight and it can stretch the fabric and that brings some deformation to what is a very well designed and cut sail. Over tighten and it can be hard for the sail to reverse camber during tacking. I found this out as well when first began sailing the Wave. Just had the advice carry over from racing H16's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Be sure to check the plastic stops which are riveted in place on the luff end of the batten pockets. When I bought my wave one set of the plastic end stops was separating. Rivets had pulled thru allowing the batten to go too deep in the pocket. If that is indeed the case, just re-rivet the end caps back together with appropriate rivets. I just used some aluminum rivets I had laying around. Worth checking. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

"Be sure to check the plastic stops which are riveted in place on the luff end of the batten pockets

Excellent point -hey, are those replacement pocket protector kits with little nuts and bolts still around? Always have hated rivets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can always head to the hardware store and get some proper length stainless screws with locking nuts if the plastic pieces are still ok. I use them all the time for connecting cb antenna sockets to flanges and such. (I do a lot of global dx'ing with ssb cb radios). Make sure they are just long enough so that the threads catch the lock nuts but not so long they stick out. The ends would shred the sail when rolled up and stored. Food for thought to use in a pinch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good tip. Much appreciated.