Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay, I have a silly idea but thought I would toss it out there. How about a barberhauler type set up for the mainsheet to keep the main sheeted when it is windy? Just run the four strands of the sheet through the ring, tie a line to the ring, through a cheek block that is attached to one end of the crossbar, through a camcleat, through another cam cleat, through the cheek block on the other end and back to the ring? Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as your components are strong enough to take the force from the sail, that sounds like a great idea to me!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

But ....

From my point of view, and I'm frequently wrong, when you're going upwind the mainsheet wants to sheet in the centre, or pretty close to it. It's when you're going straight downwind or broad reaching that you'd like to keep the clew of the sail down and not have it ride up and turn the sail into a funnel shape. So in those conditions you'd like the sail to sheet from the the hull about a foot or so in front of the crossmember. Take a look at an A Class cat and see where the semicircular traveller ends up. There.

So what you could do is attach some sort of pad to the hull on each side and rig an alternate mainsheet with the hook on the end. Then when you're on that tack you could hook that into the sail and let the real mainsheet off and use the alternate one which sheets down and minimizes twist.

Lots of thrash and sounds like an invitation to capsize to me. But as I said, I'm frequently incorrect. :lol: