Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just curious to know how close others are pointing into the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

points higher than an H16, but can't achieve speed to beat the 16's VMG. Tacks easier, more like a dinghy. Also, your other post about sailing the boat into shore with rudders down is fine if you don't lock the pins in. If your boat has the old 17/18 aluminum castings then it will kick the rudders up no problem. People I sail with who have the plastic rudder system have said they don't engage the locking pin and the rudder stays down ok while sailing. I prefer the old system which was on the boats the first several years of production.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry, forgot to say points easily 45 degrees off the wind, oft times I've seen it closer to 40 degrees in varying conditions. Likes to go faster footing and I'm never afraid to foot while racing to get some distance, even if others are pointing higher. Pinching seems to have diminishing returns. My rule is 'No Pinching Allowed', well, in sailing the Wave anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Checked severel times on GPS track. It depends on the waves. On flat water and moderate wind speed 45 degree off the wind, in 2' waves and strong breeze 55 degree off the wind. Forestay set to the 8th hole of the 10 hole adjuster, no pinching.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is useful info as never have done the gps tracking. Want to try it in the flat water, heavy wind conditions here at Lake Mead, Nevada, because notice that perhaps at about 17/18 knots and above (while hiking out) the Wave points very high. The wind is too strong to stream the tales back on the windward side of the sail. They are straight vertical. The boat becomes an extreme sailing machine, going quite fast to weather. I run the rig with max rake with sheet tension allowance of about 14" clew to crossbar when slack, using 6:1 blocks reaved to 4:1. Max rake seems to put the sailplan over the skegs and rudders, improving performance to weather.

Finally, may have said this before, but the Wave was not designed to have a jib. The jib kit was designed for the Wave to accommodate demand which occurred after the boat was designed. So the forum question 'How close into the wind can you sail a Wave without a Jib?' presumes that Waves come with a jib, which is only true if you order it with one. The Wave to me is a fantastic stand alone sailing craft and racing catamaran as designed. With one string to pull, and little one can do to trick it out for racing (rules very brief and unambiguous), it weights the tactical racing skills of the sailor far ahead of one's technical skills at rigging a cat for racing. This is why I have made it my only racing boat for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We get made fun of enough because of that stupid Mast Bob, don't add a jib, that will just go too far. We might as well wear pocket protectors and wear Star Trek uniforms on the boat. (I only wear the shirt.......)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

(I only wear the shirt...) Just what are your saying? Yes, I'm a bit slow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In my experience. They do pretty good. I'm no expert or racer for sure But have a lot of fun on the little plastic boat. Last season pinchin' it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7dHofjul6Y