Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi folks I've read about the zipper reefing sail but am wondering if anybody has tried installing reefing points in a standard Wave sail? I often find myself in high winds (>20 knots) and although more skilled sailors than me could probably handle those conditions, personally I'd be happier if I could put in a reef and enjoy the sail, rather than freaking out! :o

I used to sail a Hobie 16 that had a set of reefing points, but since the Wave has no boom things are a bit different: (1) no boom to lash the reefed area to, and (2) the mainsheet attachment point moves forward if you reef a Wave sail (since there's no boom).

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
- have a sailmaker insert reinforced reefing points just above or below the first batten, including extra-reinforced points at the luff and leech
- reef by easing the halyard, tightly rolling the bottom panel and lashing with sail ties, then tying off halyard on mast
- attach downhaul to forward reefing point, to tension luff
- attach mainsheet to aft reefing point (on leech)

At this stage I'm just imagining this, but I can imagine at least three problems:
1. big roll of mainsail on the foot will mess up wind flow and sail shape
2. leading mainsheet further forward will mess up sheeting angle
3. since I have a jib kit, centre of effort will move forward and give excessive lee helm

Before I start putting holes in my lovely main sail, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I crazy? :lol:

stuart