Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was trying to pull the two sections of the mast apart to facilitate storage and couldn't budge it. Is there a trick to getting the two sections apart?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no problem with it, but I did it only with mast attached to the boat (with pin) and boat secured on the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did two this year. One I just pulled, with the boat tied on the trailer and the pin holding the mast base, and wiggled the upper section and it came out. The other I had to tie to a convenient tree and tension with the mainsheet. Then when I wiggled it there was an audible "pop" and it came apart.

So some are stickier than others.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today after work, after voting, I attached the mast to the mast base. I pulled, shook, yanked, hit with a hammer through a board, poured water on it, cussed, and still couldn't get it to come apart.

When you tied one to a convenient tree, was it separated from the boat?

Would it be alright to spray it with WD-40?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Long shot but are you the original owner? Any chance the former owner sealed it with something?

I don't believe sealing is encouraged on a Wave but I've read about the owners of other models sealing theirs. The previous owner may have thought it was required.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Murph_PEI wrote:
Long shot but are you the original owner? Any chance the former owner sealed it with something?

I don't believe sealing is encouraged on a Wave but I've read about the owners of other models sealing theirs. The previous owner may have thought it was required.

I am the third owner. The original owner allegedly only took it out only a few times. The second owner never took it out at all.

You may be on to something. There seems to be a very thin material of some sort between the two sections. I wondered if there was a gasket of some sort that allowed for a compression fit as the sections are joined together. If there isn't a gasket of any sort, then it looks like an adhesive was used.

My primary reason for wanting to take it apart was so I could store the entire rig in my garage with the shrouds and forestay attached. There is no way the mast will go in the garage assembled. I will have to remove the shrouds and forestay each time and carry the mast into the back yard after every use. Or I could store it completely assembled on its trailer in the driveway in front of the house and hang a sign on it inviting anyone who wants it to steal it.

To add to my post, as I handle the mast I can hear water inside sloshing back and forth. Not a lot of water, but I can hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the water point, this is my second season having to drain a good bit of water from the lower mast section. I did it twice this year actually. It's puzzling though as this spring I tried submerging it in a friends pool and could not spot any telltale bubbles once I got the trapped air out of the luff track. I guess I will have to figure out a way to inject air pressure into it next year.

To drain, I drilled a hole straight in through the top and turned it upside down for a while. I sealed it with silicone afterwards (tough to do cause you have to get it down there despite the depth of the sheath. You also need a long bit for that same reason and to get through the foam. Of course you can't do this if you can't get the two pieces part.

My original thought was to drill a hole into the side of the mast near the bottom, just above the chunk of foam that is supposed to be in there at the bottom. The plan was to tap it and put a small removable plug in there so I could at least mostly drain it with out disassembling the boat. However after posting and not receiving a confirmed length how far that foam goes up inside the mast, I gave up on that idea.

Matt,
Has Hobie ever thought about a tiny drain hole in the mast base? Seems like a very simple thing to do from my perspective. Of course, my perspective does not include having to worry about production lines, margins and such.....