Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tarzan,

I use the quick release style of pin, similar to the one from Salty Dog, on all of my standing rigging. Just make sure that you get a pin that you is snug (i.e you need to squeeze the 7 hole adjuster slightly when inserting and locking) and it should never come undone or fall out. The only problem that you will have is when you drop the pin into the sand.....which happened to me on the weekend. Buy some extras, just in case.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarzan wrote:
This looks like it would be legitimate alternative to the clevis pin and ring ding. How would this work itself out?

I used one of these for the forestay on my Hobie 16 and it came out during a capsize. Mast did not come down as the jib was still ok, but it did mean the jib was able to wrap around the 10 hole adjuster and I had to retire from the race to go to shore and fix it. Not recommended. I only use the ring dings now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I was willing to stick with the ring dings, not saying that I am,is there any reason why I shouldn't use a longer clevis pin just to make it easier to jamb it through the seven hole adjuster while trying to hang on to everything?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I dont see any issue with using a longer clevis pin. Perhaps a screw driver through the holes of the adjuster could work as a handle while you are assembling. The nice thing is once you set your position on the adjuster you wont need to touch it again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never seen the ring-dings as a problem myself, but if your forestay eye is like mine, it's large enough to pin two holes. I keep a spare pin there to also serve as a back-up. You could use two quick-release pins, just watch to make sure they both stay in place. For stepping/unstepping, use the screwdriver idea in one hole, then install the pin in the other at your leisure.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On forestay/bridle never have had a problem with push button quick pins. Never use them on shrouds of course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Off topic heads up. Hobie Wave racing is heating up in the desert SW. See schedule of events at hobiedivision2.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used a captive pin shackle with a little lanyard tied to the bridle/furler.
If a furler, you tie the lanyard to the lower of the 2 holes on the furler or to the forstay.
Not to the bridle or you will be really upset when you try to furl :shock:

I find its easier to deal with than the pin/ring, more secure than quick pins and with the lanyard I never drop it in the sand.