Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I am looking to buy a wave and found one for sale 3 hrs away. The owner inherited with a house she bought and have no information about it. I asked her to look at the serial numbers but it is under cover on a boat lift and she can't get a picture of it. She did send me these 2 pictures. Can you please tell me if this is the correct sail and rudder for a wave? Any way to tell the year by the sail colors? I am going to look at it this weekend and want to know what I am dealing with. Thank you very much for any information.

David

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug49jwkxqina4 ... 2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0eu1njs1ixoqu ... 1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b06q3qw5khju ... 0.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0j1t36ra6m3g ... 0.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwz5izupo4cjw ... 0.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like a Wave from here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The size of this cat is hard to judge from the photos but with those wings it looks like it might be a Getaway. Just ask them to measure the length of the hulls for you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is definitely a Wave. The bow length in front of the mast is too short to be a Getaway. The back rests (not seats) shown are definitely belong on a Wave. The back rest supports are curved. The Getaway "seats" actually have a bench style and are much longer. The seat rest supports are straight.

Getaway length = 16' 7" Wave length = 13'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Without question, this is a Wave. The sail looks very new (I wish that mine was is as good a shape...) and I'd bet that the boat and tramp are in excellent shape since the boat is covered with a custom cover on a lift.

Interesting that the two rudders are different colors, perhaps one had to be replaced.

Looks to me like it could be a great boat.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes it is a wave. I bought it this weekend. Overall in very good shape for a 96 model. Was stored at a vacation home and I was told the owner only sailed it a couple of times. The hull is in immaculate condition. Barely any scratches along the bottom. The inspection ports will have to be replaced though. Since it is an older model the ports are on the back of the hull and have cracked. Anyone know if I have to buy the special curved ones from hobie? I know it is a Viking 5" model. It looks pretty flat to me.

Also anyone know if I have to update the pintle to use the EZ-lock rudder? I have the old aluminum cast ones with the old-style 90 degree rubber tiller connector. I would like to use the EZ-lock rudder setup with the H20 style tiller connectors. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MUDSUX wrote:
Also anyone know if I have to update the pintle to use the EZ-lock rudder? I have the old aluminum cast ones with the old-style 90 degree rubber tiller connector. I would like to use the EZ-lock rudder setup with the H20 style tiller connectors. Thanks!

Yes, the EZ-lok pintles are longer but you really only have to change out the top ones.

BEWARE!!! The screws that hold the old pintles are famous for galling, i.e., seizing to the threaded aluminum block molded into the hull. ALL of my screws broke off and drilling and tapping new threads proved impossible (don't ask). It was a MAJOR PITA!!

What I did to repair the mess I'd made was to weld the new longer SS pintles ($25 each x 4) to a stainless plate (~2"x8") and through-drill new holes through the plate and through the transoms. Thank goodness I had access ports behind the rear beam. It's working perfectly after 3 years of very hard use (teenagers!). I'll post photos when I can find them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info dparker.