Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all! Just picked myself up this little beauty. Its a 95 Classic with a trailer that I purchased for 1100 bucks. Seemed like a good deal to me, what do the rest of you think? I will be here asking for your help in re-rigging what needs to be fixed to get her out on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice.
Seems like a great deal to me. I just finished restoring a 98 Classic Wave that I got for $1750 with backrests, but no jib. So it looks like you got a better deal than I did.
I like those sail colors you got.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered a whole bunch of parts today and was luck enough to find out that they are all at our local dealer. I will head out tomorrow to get the stuff and get some of them installed. I am a little concerned as I pulled the plugs on both hulls today and there was quite a bit of water in both of them. I checked all the screws for the rudders to see if maybe they were leaking. To no avail they were all tight.

Were do you folks think the water could be coming from?

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The port covers under the seat pads are probably leaking.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Hammbone! I will watch the water as it sits in the rain and see if I get more water in there.

Well today was a productive day other than the dealer giving me the wrong sister screws. I was able to do the overhaul on both rudders with new cams, sister screws and bushings. All totaled up I spent 72 bucks and crossed most of the items off my list. I was able to raise the mast and get the rig all connected to see how everything looked.

That did raise another question in my mind. How tight should my shrouds be on my rig? As my wave is the older one it only has the front adjuster at the bridle. I could get a smaller shackle to go in the adjuster but I don't think is will have tension. Anyone have any advise?

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not familiar with your "older type" rigging, but you want the rigging to be snug. Make sure the mast can still rotate or it's too tight.

If your rigging is that old, you might want to get new rigging anyway. Many people replace their rigging every few years. It's not that much money (mine cost @ $100), and it's good peace of mind. OId rigging could possibly fail (break). You don't want that mast falling down on you.

Get new "club style" rigging and it will be the right length. Get adjusters to set the proper tension.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on "stealing" that boat. about 2K$ less than I paid for mine and prob' in better shape. Way to go! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

looking at your boat and trailer looks like you have a nice deal. I my self have a 1996 with jib and spinnaker that I have added.

I don't haul my mast together when I transport. I lay it down on the trailer under the boat. If I did haul by mast together I would have Bob at the bow. Make sure you have both pieces of mast tied together. Just a thought I would hate for your mast to decide to come undone and end up on the highway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

steviethunder wrote:
Congrats on "stealing" that boat. about 2K$ less than I paid for mine and prob' in better shape. Way to go! :D

Thanks Stevie pretty excited to get it out on the water.

clark wrote:
looking at your boat and trailer looks like you have a nice deal. I my self have a 1996 with jib and spinnaker that I have added.

I don't haul my mast together when I transport. I lay it down on the trailer under the boat. If I did haul by mast together I would have Bob at the bow. Make sure you have both pieces of mast tied together. Just a thought I would hate for your mast to decide to come undone and end up on the highway.

Clark, it has a jib as well but it has some mouse damage so I need to get some scraps and get the wife to sew it up for me. As for the mast I flipped it around today as I loaded it back up today with the bob at the top. I used the halyard to tension the two pieces together so it should stay together.

One a previous issue with my rigging turns out that the previous owner used a sail shackle from the jib to connect the bridle to the fore stay. So I made another trip to the dealer and got the proper shackle for the bridle as well as a pit pin to easily put the fore stay in the adjuster. After I got the proper parts I got what I think is much better tension on the rig.

Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase a new trampoline or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Now it is July. How is the boat doing or you doing sailing it?
By the way I have had my 1997 wave on a boat lift for 6 years and it has made it through many storms I strap it down on four corners

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

clark wrote:
Now it is July. How is the boat doing or you doing sailing it?
By the way I have had my 1997 wave on a boat lift for 6 years and it has made it through many storms I strap it down on four corners

Clark, We are both doing well! Had it out about 6 times at my lake property. I converted my jet ski lift to hold it and strap it down to the cross bars with a rachet strap.

I also found a really cheap getaway that I had to do a bunch of work to get it back on the water. I finally got all the parts and got it together and out on the water this weekend for the first time. Man they are so different and the power of the getaway is crazy.