Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an excellent book on cat sailing. It discusses various conditions that are suitable for sailors with differing levels of experience. It has a chart with wind speeds and the advisability of sailing by beginners and advanced. I have seen discussions about how the Wave is underpowered compared to the 16, and how the Wave can be sailed in stiffer winds more easily than the 16. Although I am sure the chart is good, I think it could probably be adjusted for the Wave.

I wonder if I could get some feedback on the level of difficulty in sailing the Wave under various wind conditions, and the advisability.

The wind this next Saturday is supposed to be 22 mph with gusts even higher. The waves on the Gulf of Mexico along the mid Texas coast will be a bit rough. I could go to a local lake instead, but how difficult is it to keep from capsizing in winds over 20 mph?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 am 
Site Admin

I think 12 to 18 is moderate. Above that is getting into high wind sailing. I would sail the lake and get comfortable with the winds before venturing into the Gulf on a day like you have described.

With reasonable skills you can easily avoid capsize in higher winds, but you do need some skills.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarzan wrote:
I have an excellent book on cat sailing.

Care to share the title?

I agree with Matt, 22mph is going to be a challenge, especially if it's gusty.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a Hobie book. I will get the title when I get home.

The forecast has been updated to 23 mph. What to do? Either sit at home because the wind is a little more than I am ready for or go out and do my best. There is no getting around the fact that I live in a windy area. That is partly why I got the Hobie. You should try kayak fishing on days like this.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I say go and sail on the lake in those 20+ winds. Worst is a capsize and once you have gotten past that your confidence will increase. You can always find a friend to go with you. I call those friend ballast :D
I was out in 25mph on Tuesday and the boat was screaming across the water. It is intimidating, but you'll be smiling all night long. When in doubt let the sheet out.
Remember to let the bows and sail change sides (go through the wind) during the tack before you do. This will help prevent the boat from weather vaining and getting stuck in irons.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the wind is blowing so hard that it is difficult to keep from capsizing, does that make it harder to right the boat after a capsize?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Possibly. It can force the boat to turtle. It can catch the wind and flip upright unexpectedly. Each has it's own concern. You can get separated from the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The book is called Catamaran Sailing From Start To Finish by Phil Berman.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
Remember to let the bows and sail change sides (go through the wind) during the tack before you do. This will help prevent the boat from weather vaining and getting stuck in irons.

That tip wasn't even in the book. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tarzan wrote:
I have an excellent book on cat sailing. It discusses various conditions that are suitable for sailors with differing levels of experience. It has a chart with wind speeds and the advisability of sailing by beginners and advanced. I have seen discussions about how the Wave is underpowered compared to the 16, and how the Wave can be sailed in stiffer winds more easily than the 16. Although I am sure the chart is good, I think it could probably be adjusted for the Wave.

I wonder if I could get some feedback on the level of difficulty in sailing the Wave under various wind conditions, and the advisability.

The wind this next Saturday is supposed to be 22 mph with gusts even higher. The waves on the Gulf of Mexico along the mid Texas coast will be a bit rough. I could go to a local lake instead, but how difficult is it to keep from capsizing in winds over 20 mph?

Only go on the Gulf if the wind is onshore, if the wind is offshore you could get blown out to sea. The lake is the safe choice for an inexperienced sailor in big wind. Have fun!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, did you sail?
I had my wave go turtle on me and I was able to right it single handed. Remember to stand on the lee hull when righting from a turtle. I was on the weather hull and I had no joy. Once I realized my mistake I had the boat righted in a minute or two. It was a real confidence booster.

I believe the tacking strategy I described may be called a "roll tack"

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
So, did you sail?
I had my wave go turtle on me and I was able to right it single handed. Remember to stand on the lee hull when righting from a turtle. I was on the weather hull and I had no joy. Once I realized my mistake I had the boat righted in a minute or two. It was a real confidence booster.

I believe the tacking strategy I described may be called a "roll tack"

Not yet. Must wait for Saturday. The wind will be above 20. I will go to the lake to make it a little easier. It will be more flat, which will result in more speed than if I was on the Gulf. I wonder if being 30 miles further inland will result in slightly lower wind speeds.

As far as not sailing with offshore winds, I totally agree. If I have a problem I would rather the wind blow me back to the beach rather than to old Mexico. That would be a long journey.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

To add detail to tacking in higher winds.

Sailing close hauled. Keep up speed ease the boat into the turn sheet hard and hike out well aft. Turn the helm harder as the boat slows. Sit up and release the main from the cleat but hold the tension until the main starts to luff. Fully release the main. Duck under the sail to the new weather side. Still keeping the helm over, but main is fully released and sheeted out the bows continue around to the new tack. Wait until well past closed hauled and closer to a beam reach. Straighten rudders and start sheeting in slowly until the boat starts moving. Then sheet tighter... off you go.

In waves you have to be aware of the peaks and troughs. Start a tack as you go over a peak. The next peak should help push the bows around as you pass head to wind. Of course, it depends on the frequency of the waves too, but use the waves to help you tack.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I chickened out. Had the Wave rigged at water's edge and was afraid the wind was more than I could handle. About that time a couple of guys came back to the launch in an aluminum fishing boat and commented that it was so rough they were glad to make it back. I want to go out in 15 mph winds and get the hang of that before I tackle 24-25. Dang it. Maybe next week the wind will lay down just a bit.