Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave as first boat ever
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I am 45 and I'm finally going to realize my dream of learning to sail. I have read everything I could find on the art of sailing, and I have registered for some private dinghy sailing lessons.

Part of me also just wants to get out there and learn the old trial and error way.

Is a Wave a good boat to learn on, to just get on out there and do it?

Thanks everyone in advance for any advice you can give.

Brett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

One of the easiest boats in the World to sail. Very stable and forgiving. Only easier boat is an Island with MirageDrives.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was/am in that position and bought a Wave for a few reasons.

- It fits in my garage :)
- It is simple and easy to get started but seems like more skilled people like it in high winds, so it doesn't take you to a complete dead end as you get better
- I have to trailer, so quick setup solo lets me get some evening sailing time.
- It is easy to sail alone and can be righted by one person easily (so I read) yet it also sails respectably with two.

Alternatives I considered were a bigger Hobie or a Flying Scot, but they presented challenges for storage, setup, and confidence for use solo. Remeber that I am completely new to this, so could be completely wrong!

My wife and I took three 1 hour lessons on a Wave and I read a lot, and so far we've been doing fine, with no regrets about getting the boat.

All that said, it's not perfect. I already wish we had a jib so I felt more like a real sailor, but I know the Wave jib is not much use. I wish I could have found a good used one, but there are not many, so I had to pay for a new one. People keep wanting to come out with me and it is kinda fun to do that, but the boat is a bit small for a crowd and they slow it down.

A Getaway may have solved these problems (except the cost), so that's something to think about if you have the room, are not trailering, and are likely to be sailing with others most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, I think the wave would be a great boat to learn on, as I have. Sure, I would like a bigger boat, but I dont really have storage. I do like the fact that I can set it up and sail it solo, I can right it solo. I had 3 on the boat last weekend and I was still zipping along (me and two teenage boys; maybe 425lbs.) If you're in the SF Bay area I'd be happy to take you for a ride on my wave.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 54. I got a Zuma last year to learn on and I hated it. I sold the Zuma and got a Wave this year and loved it. Learning on the Wave was easy. I'm already feeling comfortable and confident. Plus now I can still have fun on the Wave in big winds. The Wave can be whatever you want it to be... calm and relaxing, or wild and crazy.
It's easily rigged and sailed by one person, and easy to store in the garage.
It's the perfect boat for me.

By the way, I have a local sailing buddy with a Wave. We know the jib DOES make a difference on the Wave. When one of us sails with the jib and the other one doesn't. The one with the jib is faster. The jib also helps to turn quicker.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seems to me the Wave is the perfect boat as is for a beginner as well as sailors at any level. One finds clarity on this in a variety of conditions. Having sailed the boat extensively in winds from 2 to 35 on a lake that is notoriously difficult, even treacherous at times, the Wave steps up and can handle most anything. Yes, I've been caught in gales that have on one occasion(50mph) shipwrecked me, but I was able to coast to a lee shore, rerig the boat and sail it back to the marina. Am planning a 100 miler sometime in the future here to get the most out of a solo sailing and camping experience. I wouldn't do this on any other boat except a large monohull. Just want to get around on the voyage a bit faster.