Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Sailors!

I'm new here, just parked a Wave out in front of my pier. I'll appreciate any answers I can get. I'm an avid boater, but new to the sailing world, and what I've learned so far is that they all float... but that's about the extent of the similarities!

Your oar - where do you keep it, and how to secure it?
Anyone use a jet ski type lift to dock on?
I've found a cupholder that mounts to the H bar... Any other "accessory" tips?

This next question is probably more important... Like I said, my Wave is docked on the only convenient place I have, which is the windward side of my pier. The mast is raised, and the wind is causing a bit of waves tonight. The cables are banging off the mast, and the sound doesn't bother me a bit (That "ting ting!" just sounds like adventure to me) BUT I know the resort I discovered this boat on would drag their boats on shore AND lower the masts every night if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure the waves are putting stress on the forestay/shroud cables.

I currently don't have the option to pull the Hobie onto land. Is this a big deal? Or am I being overprotective of a new toy? As much as I hate to let it bang around in the wind on the rare stormy night, I've also read nothing but amazing reports on how tough these things are.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:

My paddle is pretty much the same length as the crossbars, so I lay it across the front of the tramp with a bungee cord wrapped around it and the center lacing. I used the same bungee to secure a spare rope (in case I need a tow rope or whatever).

Quote:
Any other "accessory" tips?

Here is my list - not saying they are all needed - just what I have done:
1. I switched the forestay adjuster to a 10-hole version so I could get more mast rake.
2. A wind indicator of some kind is useful (even just wool or VCR tape tied to the shrouds)
3. I added the Hobie Wave traveler to mine.
4. I switched my upper block to one with a ratchet on/off setting because it helps my wife hold the sheet without cleating it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree installing a traveller. Even Hobie isn't too enthusiastic about leaving the mast stepped and on the water. I leave the mast stepped for weeks on the Florida panhandle, but we pull it up on the beach at night and then use a separate line to tie the side stays and forestay together.....to take up the slack and strain. It limits mast movement.

The beach is on private property, but I use whipping line (or small zip ties) to secure the ring dings to the adjusters so "gremlins" can't remove the sidestay rings. It prevents sidestay pins working out of the adjuster while out sailing and dropping your mast. Not cool.

We store the (telescoping) paddle under the rear tramp lacing........with bungees or small line. You can purchase a small zipper storage pouch with clips on each end from Hobie/Murray's Marine. Clip the bag to the center lacing just behind the front cross bar. We keep a couple of flares and a few extra pins, etc. in the bag also.

Hobie makes a slick wind vane that fits in the forestay adjuster and just pins in place. It's out in front of the sail and is easily removed at the end of the day. They also have sidestay wind indicators which are easy on-easy off. We also bought a cheap blue tarp and use bungee ball cords (HomeDepot) to fasten the tarp over the tramp. Limits UV exposure, birds, etc. Hope this helps.
fair winds,
bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jaydubb wrote:
I stuff my telescopic paddle in tramp lacing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello and welcome.

"Anyone use a jet ski type lift to dock on?"

I don't have a dock or pier, and my beach is very narrow, just wide enough to rig on. So I store my Wave on a cantilever type lift.

Image[/url][/img]