I took my Wave out for the second time this morning. Because I had such a hard time with the jib sheets catching the base of the mast on the first try, I sailed under main alone today. What a different (better) boat.
Several things contributed to a more pleasing experience :
I raked the mast a lot more and got rid of the lee helm. Gosh, now it will point !!!
Sailing under just the main is a whole lot less work. I will use the above advice from Doug and Kluckenbill about how to make the jib sheets friendlier and see how things work out at a later date.
Because the jib interfered with my Telo-Cat bridal vane, I could not use it on the inaugural sail. Today without the jib, it worked fine and is really helpful. I attempted to bend the bar as per Telo-Cat instructions to avoid the jib and broke the damn thing about a week ago. Today I used the replacement arm out of the box it worked just fine. I hope I do not have to explain to Miss Judy why I need a third bar for this thing. The aluminum is surprisingly stiff and brittle, but I will have to give it a couple of pretty decent bends in order to avoid the jib. I might take it to a machine shop. The $6 replacement arm cost $9 to ship. Geezz.........
http://www.davisnet.com/Marine/products ... pnum=01450
The winds were only forecast at 8-12 mph and pretty shifty, but I still had a great time. It is amazing how much faster these cats are than the sloops I am accustomed to.
The fact that I did not capsize today did not hurt my feelings either. 8)