Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since Portsmouth ratings are being bandied about, I have a few questions about the Hobie Wave.

Maybe Matt can chime in here.

The Hobie 14 is 86.4

The Hobie 14 Turbo is 83.1

The differential is even greater in very light winds.

See : http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tab ... es06mh.htm

How will the jib effect the Hobie Wave? Especially in light winds?

I am guessing that the jib is good for 3 points and the traveler is good for another 2. Does this sound about right?

So instead of 92.0 I am expecting something like 87.

Can I call it a Hobie Wave Turbo? Seriously..........

Hey !!! I measure things. I currently measure the orbits of asteroids.

I will spend the summer measuring a polar for my new boat and post the results here.

Post subject: Portsmouth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

I would guess that there is a standard adjustment for carrying an additional sail. Can't get on ussailing right now to check. Their site is being updated or something.

I wouldn't expect much from the standrad jib. Is is very small. It's purpose is for easy fun and sail control training.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Hits
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Here are the modification tables, when do you get boat? I don't see a hit for travaler, just jib. You multiply these chagess by your Portsmouth number from your above link:

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tab ... ions06.htm

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Doug,

This is exactly what I have been looking for.

I get my boat when Brad at www.sunjammers.com says "Come get your boat." That should be any day now.

Here is the modification data :

JS Class normally without jib, carrying small jib* 0.975 0.965 0.971 0.975 0.975

Here is the Portsmouth data for the Wave :

Hobie Wave HWAV 92.0 95.8 92.8 89.5 89.2

Using : O.975 X 89.5 = 87.3 at Beauford 4 or about 11-16 knots.

This is about what I expected from extrapolating Hobie 14-14 Turbo data, and I get to subtract another point or two for the traveler. It may well be that the traveler is more important than the jib on a Wave. Time will tell, and that is why I have added these options. I am a scientist by nature and I like to solve problems that involve numbers.

It does not cost much for a jib and a traveler, and these will make for a more interesting summer as I experiment with the polar. Good or bad, I will faithfully report the outcome.

This is what I hope to replicate, but for a Wave Turbo :

See page #7 of :

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/HobieU.pdf

Loren

Post subject: Next Now
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

When you want to make it FLY , get this. Send Rick rick at catsailor.com and ask him about how he KILLS for guys on this:

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... jmnrkomnk0

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday I took delivery of my 2007 Hobie Wave from Brad Stephens at
www.sunjammers.com

Brad built my Wave with a jib, traveler, back rests, an upgraded galvanized trailer, and a bunch of stuff like gloves, T-shirts, hats, pfd, etc. This was a one day 730 mile round trip, but well worth the effort.

I could not possibly be more happy with the boat or the excellent service.

Naturally, we are in a tornado watch all day today.............. But hey !!! I am now a Hobie owner instead of a wannabe.

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren wrote:
Naturally, we are in a tornado watch all day today.............. But hey !!! I am now a Hobie owner instead of a wannabe.
Loren

You aren't kidding... That's the kind of weather we normally have to deal with.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have gotten my Wave tucked away in a 13x40 storage building with a 15' ceiling designed for RV campers. The front is open, but I am on an end facing West, so I have side protection from the South. I am far enough toward the rear of the building that I have plenty of protection from the Sun and wind. Of the 40 slots, I am the only catamaran, and one of only a handful of boats. It is a well lighted, modern facility in a very safe area of town and only 4 miles from the launch site on Wheeler lake. It is a gated complex with a security camera and 10' fence all around. The monthly rent is $65, which seems like a bargain to me. I will probably do a 1 year lease because I get 1 free month by doing so. 12 months = $715. What is everyone else paying?

I have taken all of the gear out of the boxes and attached it to the boat. Brad did a great job of getting everything ready for me and I appreciate his professional approach because he did not leave much for me to do. I also appreciate the quality of a Hobie. Thanks Matt !!!!!

It has been far too windy and cold to sail, but the forecast Tuesday is for very light winds and plenty of Sunshine, so I will be able to step the mast at my storage facility and run the sails up as a test for the blessed day when I can dunk the boat.

What a life !!!

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Brian,

I lived in the NW part of Oklahoma for nearly 40 years. It was always very windy and we dodged tornadoes every Spring. By comparison, Alabama is a tropical paradise.

Wheeler Lake runs from SE to NW so when the wind is out of the SW I will be able to sail on a beam reach for about 20 miles.

Loren

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Please learn more than reaching, although it is fun. Learn all the ways, in case of a wind shift you will KNOW how to get back.

Have fun,

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not to worry, Doug. And besides, the wind will surely blow from more than one direction. 8)

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I finally got to put my new Wave in the water for a 4 1/2 hour sail a few days ago. Having now run aground twice and capsized once, I feel right at home in this group. My body feels like I have gone 3 rounds with George Foreman though.

The jib does not seem to do very well as it is configured. The sheets catch at the bottom of the mast or on a cleat on almost every tack and this is a little more than frustrating. I know I can rig a bungee to prevent this in the future. Rick White and others at Catsailor.com are of the opinion the jib actually hurts the performance. I am happy to have it though so I can find out for myself. More to follow on that as I gain experience..........

The next time out I am going to run with only the main so I can see the difference in handling. I had quite a bit of lee helm, so I will rake the mast back further.

It is quite a different experience than sailing fixed keel sloops, that is for sure. The acceleration in puffs is a rush that I have never experienced on bigger, heavier boats.

It is nice to get the capsize thing over with so I can sail with the confidence of being able to get back up and carry on. I got to see a little over 11 mph on my GPS before I was launched into space. Boy, the water is still really cold here even though the air temperature is about 80.

Loren

Post subject: Fix
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Get you a U shaped bracket and put it about three feet up on the front of the mast. Run a piece of bungee from the corner cast through the U bracket and back to the other side and tie off. This will create a V. Where do the cleats attach at the crossbar? You may need to play around with it. If there is a way you want the sheets to go fro clew OVER the bungee and then through cleat. If this doesn't make sense call me. They won't hang up anymore.

Doug
832-533-4506

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Loren wrote:
The jib does not seem to do very well as it is configured. The sheets catch at the bottom of the mast or on a cleat on almost every tack and this is a little more than frustrating. I know I can rig a bungee to prevent this in the future. Rick White and others at Catsailor.com are of the opinion the jib actually hurts the performance. I am happy to have it though so I can find out for myself. More to follow on that as I gain experience..........

Loren

I've had my Wave a few years now. I had the same problem with the jib so I had my wife sew a "Mast Bra." Its a rectangular piece of vinyl that wraps around the cleats of the mast and is held tight with velcro. It works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate the advice about how to make the jib more friendly. The weather here is not really quite ready for sailing and I was lucky to be able to get out on the water a few days ago. In two weeks, the Corp of Engineers will add about 5 feet to the elevation of Wheeler Lake and that will make for a much better sailing lake. It is 67,000 acres, but much of it is very shallow right now.

There is a wealth of information in this group and I appreciate all of the help.

Loren