Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I understand it depends on the wind...but, wondering if I can take my Hobie Wave (with the jib attachment - I know, bad reviews) out on the Atlantic.

Looking to leave from the beach in north Florida and go to nearby islands. For instance, some are 15-20 miles away...
will this take hours?
will I be so beat up from the waves that I give up?
will my little Wave handle the waves?

Thanks!

Post subject: Hobie Wave in the Ocean?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Wave in the Ocean?

The Wave is a blast in the open ocean. The rougher and windier the better I think!

Now, about crossing to offshore islands... not something I can suggest, but is the boat up to sailing in rough ocean conditions? Absolutely!

How long it takes to get somewhere is just a product of the VMG (Velocity made good). You can sail at top speed on a reach, but if tacking upwind, the distance traveled (in the direction of the destination) is not as fast, so it all depends on wind direction. The Wave will go between 10-15 knots fairly easily. If it is a reach and the island is 10 miles away? About an hour or a bit less to get there.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had my new wave out on Lake Mich this past September the first weekend I owned it and while its not the "ocean" the Great Lakes have waves all their own. It built all day from the North West (I was on the South East side of the lake) and by 4:00 it was easily 20 kts and three to five footers. The Wave was awesome, hoping up on one hull with ease and surfing those waves back to the beach like crazy. I was giving rides all day to my nieces and nephews and when I was able to single hand it it was like a whole different boat light fast responsive, just a total blast.

I think the boat can handle the sailing fine, but the wisdom of doing a crossing in such a small boat no matter its integrity is a tough thing to do. I just remember many tough days on Lake Mich in a Tarten 10 (33 foot mono hull) and having weather come up quickly and being glad I had a large boat. I woiuold not want to be several miles out on a Wave and have weather blow in that was from the wrong direction and a 2 hour sail turns into 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bring a vhf marine radio, cell phone, gps, flashlight, signal mirror, life jacket, plenty of food and water and notify people of your plans. Choose a day with good weather. Lastly go over every inch of your standing rigging to make sure there are no chafing wires, broken thimbles, cracking tangs, cracks in hull where stays attach etc. Also every other part of the boat should get a careful inspection, especially the main halyard where the line braids to wire. Finally make sure you can rite the boat by yourself.

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906