Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downwind on a Wave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wave guru Rick White says, unlike other catamarans, the Wave does not benefit from jibing/tacking on the downwind leg of a race -- that it makes its best time heading straight to the mark.

That said, what is proper sail trim for sailing the Wave dead downwind? On a boomed and stayless rig (Laser, Sunfish, etc.) the sail would be eased until the boom was 90 degrees from center. Obviously, the shrouds prevent that on a Wave.

Is there any benchmark for knowing when I've reached maximum sail ease on my Wave?

Best,
Kevin

Post subject: Downwind
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Downwind on the Wave, or any cat when trying to go as deep as possible is limited by shrouds. I light air I stand (requires a hiking stick) and sit backwards against the main. You can feel the air flow and try to get in somewhat equal. That gets the most push against the sail in that condition.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The other evening, I was out on my Wave when the wind died completely, except for the slightest occasional whisp, straight toward the sailing club. Rather than paddle back, I remembered this post (and maybe another by Rick White) that talked about sitting as far forward as possible, with your back against the mast, to sail straight downwind in very light air. I don't have a tiller extension, and I have the short-armed EZ Lock rudders, so I tied the loose end of the main sheet to the elbow of the tiller crossbar, then I moved up and sat on the front crossbar. The boat kept moving, better than I expected, and tugging on the sheet gave me all the steering I needed. My question is, knowing that tiller extensions are not allowed for racing, would tying the sheet to the tiller get me DSQ'd? What about a rope from elbow to elbow, long enough to hold at the front of the trampoline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, getting weight forward is important in all wind. Basically keep the weight as far forward as possible and still keep the bows above the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried it again tonight, in stronger (5-10) winds, and sitting with my back on the mast really did work well. (I saw what you meant Gree, about keeping the bows up. Sitting up on the crossbar made that side's bow dive, with the extra pressure on the sail.) So to get that far forward, with EZ Lock tillers and no tiller extension, I guess I'll just make a habit of tying the main on the tiller crossbar, and reining it.

Last edited by IndyWave on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am very surprised the a tiller extension is not allowed for racing with the Wave, it must make sailing solo more difficult and basically limits you to the rear of the boat.

In theory you should be as far forward as possible on every point of sail. It keeps the sterns from dragging and should reduce drag, thus increasing speed. Also on my 5.2, which oddly enough isn't shaped to differently than the wave, getting the bows down and the sterns up drastically increases my speed and poiting ability.

How well does the wave handle driving the bows under, I know on my boat I can drive the bows under water to the front crossbar and they will still pop up. I figure the wave will do close to the same just judging by the shape of the hulls.

From what I hear the wave can be a good time, my brother just spend a week in the Camen Islands sailing one and he loved it, also it looks like some people like Rick White have turboed the wave and are really getting some performance out of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm still just playing around with it, to find the best techniques. This has been a pretty dead-wind summer in Indiana, and my lake is a narrow, winding reservoir, so not the best for cat sailing.

The Wave is a great little boat, simple and fun, easy to control and very responsive. I corresponded with Rick White, and he said that of all the boats he has ever sailed, he really likes the Wave the best.

As for the bows diving, last night (light downwind) it didn't seem to slow it. The water just flowed right over the tops. In stronger winds, when the windward hull starts to lift, the leeward bow wants to dive. The mast-forward design, like a cat-boat, means a lot of rotational force on the mast and short bow. I've never pitch-poled, but I have come to a sudden stop when it happens; but the bow always pops right back up. So for that case, keeping the weight all the way back is important, to offset the forward rotation of the mast.

But I think you are right about it pointing better with the weight farther forward. It does actually point better when my wife goes out with me and sits on the forward "seat". So I guess that's a technique I need to practice more. As long as I'm not class racing, maybe I should add a tiller extension to move up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would add an extension. It is cheap and I feel like would it would really add to your sailing.

Do you have the jib on the Wave? I know they make the kit but from what i have read it doesn't help that much, it just helps a little in getting the airflow correct over the main.

Everything I have learned is that I need to keep my weight as far forward as possible for speed, this has to be balanced with the tendency for the bows to dive. My boat does have alot more floatation, it is 17 feet long and I have almost 9 feet sticking out in front of my front crossbar. That give me alot of room to get forward before the bows head for the bottom.

Keep it up, I have heard that on handicap the wave is very tough to beat, you could try a few races and really have a good time.