Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mooring a Hobie Wave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new Hobie Wave. Is it OK to leave it in lake water for a month or two each summer? I do not have enough beach front to take it out of the water after each use. I intend to moor it at my dock and store it in my garage when not in use. I read online that some Hobie Cats must be taken out of the water between uses.

Post subject: Re: Mooring a Hobie Wave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mooring is not advised for any small beach catamaran. There is a warning in the manual. This causes damage from the near-constant water and wind motions. Best on a dock or float, not directly in the water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't find this information in my manual. Can you tell me what page it is on?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just looked this up for a friend after a debate a few weeks ago. It is not referenced in the Wave Assembly Manual. The warning can be found in the "Sailing, Tuning, and Trailering Guide" on the Wave Resources page.

Wave Resources: https://www.hobie.com/support/wave/
Guide: https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/sailguide.pdf

The guide is not Wave-specific but applicable to all Hobie sailing catamarans.

"Hobie Cat does not recommend leaving the boat in the water on a mooring. Accelerated wear to the boat and rigging will be experienced. Damage to the hull material is possible. Limitation of the mast rotation and tensioning of the rigging are required to lessen this wear. Inspect rigging often and tape rigging rings and shackles to prevent loosening."

There may be other references in other Hobie documents but this is what I found.

There are also several good forum topics on mooring with tips and advice that you may want to look at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mooring+hobie+catamaran+site%3Awww.hobie.com

I moored an H16 many years ago, not without issue or incident.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have a Wave on a lake and also thought about mooring it. Otherwise it would take up a good bit of our lake access path. I rigged up a mooring ball with a pulley to bring the Wave into shore for use. pretty slick... except, as stated above its a bad idea. A Wave, when not sailing, is actually kinda loose, rigging-wise. As it floated in the water it just rattled and shook constantly. It was putting a LOT of wear and tear on the hardware. I sometimes now moor it for an hour or two, but not long term anymore.

p.s. even if it didn't beat the boat up, you will quickly tire of all the noise as she rocks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have dockside space I would recommend a boat hoist, or some resemblance of one. Since the wave is so light you likely wont need a hoist, just a crib that you can pull the boat on.

Here is one I made for a hobie 18. I carried the sterns onto the sawhorse on the shallow end. I then used some blocks to hoist up a 2x6 carrying the bows out of the water. I usually parked bows out to match prevailing winds to make it easier to raise the sails.