Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!

I am thinking about picking up a wave (when the right used deal pops up) to replace my aging sunfish. Also, would like to take the kids out on the lake, and the sunfish is difficult to have passengers.

My issue is with storage. How crazy is it to take the trampoline off for each usage? Probably put it in the water for a fews days, every month or so, in the summer. Am I asking for frustrations and more time in assembly, than beneficial sailing time?

If I can take it apart it can live in a boat house, if I can't, it has to live under a deck, and I think it's too wide for the access door...

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm surprised that no one answered your question!

It is pretty easy to take the boat apart and remove your tramp. If your tramp is in three pieces it takes a bit more work to put everything back together. But it is worth protecting the tramp material from snow and weather.

I am in Florida so I don't have the winter weather to worry about, but we do have to protect from sun damage. Because I don't sail during the summer (too hot, lack of wind - or if there is wind there is often lightning with it) I strip my Wave and my Getaway from Memorial Day to October-ish. I know that is backwards from the rest of the northern states but our sailing season down here is October to late May.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I stack mine up and cover in off season

We are phasing them out and returning to sunfish which are very happy launching off of a beach

The waves Launch and land on the beach but thats it

They do not sail well and are difficult to learn how to properly sail

Having more fun with Lasers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Taking the tramp off the Wave shouldn't be too big of a hassle if you're only taking it out occasionally. Just be sure to keep the parts organized so reassembly isn't frustrating. Also make sure to dry everything thoroughly after sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you get a boat yet? If you want to make it super easy on yourself, get the Classic (older boat with cable that runs around the outside of the tramp) and it comes apart quickly and the boat can easily be stacked against a wall in a garage that way.