Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey folks. I've got some questions about the battens and grommets in the genuine Hobie Wave mainsail.

Firstly, this is what the ends of my battens look like. The second top batten appears to be missing the little black piece on the end. Should it have one? I'm assuming it should, because upon reinserting the batten, it doesn't want to go all the way back in. Does this mean that black thing is stuck in the end of the batten pocket? If so, how do I get it out??

Secondly, this second top batten has splintered (delaminated?) and looks like this. I assume this is from the sail being rolled up without the battens being removed? Can you get just a single replacement batten, or do you need to buy the entire set?

Thirdly, this sail has been left with the battens in (and tightened :roll: ) and clearly hasn't been maintained very well. Here's what the grommets all look like. Is there a way to clean these up, or should I try to find some replacements and just get rid of these ones?

Thanks folks,
Brenton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

brentonl wrote:
Should it have one?
Yes, because otherwise you may tear sail and/or batten pocket and it is not pleasant to fix sail in that area.
brentonl wrote:
Does this mean that black thing is stuck in the end of the batten pocket?
Probably.
brentonl wrote:
If so, how do I get it out??
If nothing else helps you may need to remove luff protector (white cap at the end of batten pocket) to loose things there. Make sure you got new one handy and tool for fastening those rivets. AFAIK some folks used stainless screws instead of rivets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That batten may or may not have originally had a cap installed. Check the batten to see if there’s any residual glue on the tip. That would definitely confirm that there was a cap. Assuming there was a cap and it came off inside the plastic luff protector, your two options are 1) drill out the rivets on the protector then slide the cap out of the luff pocket and then re-install the protector using either rivets or screws. Or the other option 2) carefully cut the stitches along the side of the luff pocket about 2-3” back from the luff protector (using a stitch ripper is best). Then you will have access to pull the cap out using a small tool like a screw driver or needle nose pliers. Then you can hand stitch the luff pocket back together. It sounds extreme, but this is actually pretty easy (probably easier than removing the luff protector).

For the corroded grommets, you can probably clean them up using an old tooth brush and some soapy water, or perhaps a mild solvent like WD-40 (just be careful not to get it all over because it will stain the sail).

Regarding removing battens, you should not need to do that. Just loosen the ties when you’re done sailing. You don’t need to take the battens all the way out unless you need to service/repair something.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks folks. I've got stainless rivets the correct size, so I'll remove the luff protector and get the batten tip out that way. I trust my mechanical skills way more than my sewing skills :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That poor second batten will need to be replaced. Any H16 jib batten will work, simply cut to fit.

I normally take ALL of the luff protectors off because they get stuck in the pockets. I tape the ends and go sailing. Simple. Been doing it that way for 40+ years and I sail HARD!

Bob :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those top two look like aftermarket non hobie replacements

If the batten seats well in the pocket you are ok the end cap may be trapped you can work it out with some sail needles through the cloth after the pocket is removed

DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL POP RIVETS THEY WILL BREAK THE PLASTIC POCKET

wax or oil the grommets after you remove the corrosion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you can use nuts and bolts instead of rivets The rivet setter for original is not easy to imitate in the field

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LYC Sailing wrote:
you can use nuts and bolts instead of rivets The rivet setter for original is not easy to imitate in the field

I actually managed to rivet the existing batten protector back on without breaking it...so I must have been lucky!

Turns out there was no end cap on the batten or in the pocket after all that :roll: