Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof Racking a Wave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm ready to purchase a new Wave, but delivering it to my country home in Ontario, Canada has always been a stumbling block to me. The closest Canadian dealer is 150 miles, and the closest U.S. dealer is about the same at 180 miles. I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with the standard roof rack. If I purchase a new Wave at one of these dealers, will I be able to secure the two hulls to the roof rack for transport? Do I have to upgrade to a different roof rack system? I have a trailer hitch, but it doesn't make any sense to buy a trailer for a one-way trip.

Post subject: car-topping
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will have to check your owner's manual for the roof rack's rated capacity. The Wave manual states the following weights under the car-topping category:

• Two wave hulls - 160lbs
• Mast - 30 lbs
• Tramp and Xbars - 31 lbs
• Rudder assembly - 29 lbs
• Sail with battens - 12 lbs

(I'll leave it to you to tranaslate that to metric!)

The Xbars are at least 7 feet long, and the sail in the bag is about that long as well so if you don't have the interior capacity then they'll have to go up top as well.

I car top my Wave on the roof of a Chevy Astro van so the sails, Xbars and rudders easily fit inside the vehicle. I have backrests but they're to long and too strangely shaped to go inside so they have to go up top with the hulls and mast.

I place the hulls on crushable foam blocks that are kept in position by cutouts which align with the roof rack cross bars bars. I then cinch them down firmly and run lines from the front and back of each hull to the front and back of the vehicle for good measure. I got the tie downs and blocks at Mountain Equipment Co Op in Vancouver. It is kayacking stuff but it seems to work just fine on the Wave hulls.

Given the 13 foot hull length, you will probably want to have something in the neighbourhood of four feet ( 122 cm) between the rack bars if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:35 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
get a utility trailer for the day and just load it all on that, you can get the boat in 2 boxes so no need to worry about all the little things. Also see what a shipping quote from your 2 dealers. I'd think it should be around 200 bucks no farther than that is.

If you know anyone with a power boat trailer have them launch the boat for a day, you take the trailer to the dealer, have some 8 foot 4x4's and lay them cross ways to lay everything on and off you go!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help. I just bought the Santa Fe this week and I notice in the manual that I am not supposed to tow anything for the first 2,000km. I've decided to rent a cube van and pick it up myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ended up renting a 16' cube van and picked up the new Wave yesterday. Today is assembly day, and a trial sail if it doesn't rain.

Post subject: Roof-Racking a Wave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently purchased a new Wave, still in the boxes, and hauled it home on top of my Hyundai Elantra wagon, about 120 miles. I put 2x4s across the roof rack rails in front and back, and a 1 foot piece of thick plywood across the middle of the rails (with foam underneath). The dealer used a forklift to set the boxes on top, and I strapped them down to the rails and tied front and back to the cargo loops (under the bumpers). It looked ridiculous (I took photos), but the car handled it just fine. I drove onto the lawn and up a hill at the Indianapolis Sailing Club, slid the boxes off the back, and assembled it during an open house at the club. It was a great attention-getter all the way around. Your Santa Fe should handle the Wave even better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have no doubt that the Santa Fe could have taken it, but it would have required planning on my part. The cube van was brute force solution that worked well. As it turns out we moved some furniture at the same time.

Will