Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backrests quick release
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently stripped one of the screws on my backrest so I had to drill it out to remove them for transporting. Now I am considering installing 'quick release' style pins. Can anyone tell me if they've done this before? What size pins did you use? I understand this is the standard way of attaching them today from the factory. -Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another question on the same subject. I want to install back rests on my Wave. The dealer says it involves drilling out the rivet on the end caps so the back rests can be inserted, then drilling a hole vertically down through the hull to hold the quick release pins. He wants $100 for this job and says it will take half a day.
Is that how to install the back rests? Of course, first I have to take the boat apart to separate the hulls. It is moored permanently at our dock, so I don't really want to do that until I take it out for the winter.
In the meantime, I would be happy to buy used back rests, so if anyone has a spare pair....... Margie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought the quick pins for mine, but have yet to install them. They are very simple, just 1/4"dia x2" long w/ a ball lock one end and grab ring on other. Installation should be as simple as removing the teeny #8 screws that came w/ the kit, and drilling the holes out to 1/4"dia, probably max 2" deep. About 10 minuites work if you have an existing install. Make sure you order 4 of them. My dealer only ordered one for me. :? Had to ask him to get 3 more. Really, you may be able to find these simple ball lock pins at any marine supply store. Also, there are no instructions w/ the optional pins.

As far as installing the backrests, first thing you need to do is take the rig apart so you can get at the rivets holding the end caps on, and drill them out. This is easy if you have a SE model, a club is going to require unlacing the tramp to get the crossbars out. A little more time consuming. After that, removing the end caps is a little bit of a pain, as they are silicone glued in place. I was able to wedge them out w/ a large screwdriver.

After that, put the whole boat back together, lace the tramp (again, looks like it could be time consuming, maybe 1/2 hr? Maybe less, never done it, but watched the video :wink: ), then plug the backrests in (there is a port & starboard), and follow the directions as to drill hole locations and drill size. If you are using the included screws, you will need to pull the backrests out a little, just to drill out the backrest tubes out the next size, again, the instructions tell you drill sizes, etc.

If you choose to use the optional quick pins, then you should be able to just use the first drill size as a pilot hole, then drill straight through with the rests fully seated, the same dia as the pins. Again, just double check your drill size, maybe do a test hole in scrap material & check pin fit.

Pretty easy overall. Hard to imagine it would take an experienced dealer "1/2 a day" to do. Seems max 2hrs should do it, maybe even less.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We install back rest all the time, maybe takes 45 min! No need to take the boat apart, you can bust the crossbar endcaps out with a large screwdriver and hammer. The alum rivets that hold the end cap in place will break off, if any of the rivet is left in the cross bar you can break it off with the screwdriver.

Once the endcaps are off slide the wings in, drill the holes and your done. Occasionally there is some shaping that needs to be done on the rubber boot on the wing, a quick file job gets it done.

You can add about 2 hours if you take the boat apart and drill the rivets, so a 4 hour job is not out of the question, and a 4 hour job for only 100 bucks is a good deal!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers