Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Max Speed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had my Wave out about 30 times so far this year, but the wind here in Alabama is seldom very strong, so I do not get much practice at higher speeds. This week I was able to sail in winds of 12-16 mph, and was able to see 14+ mph on my GPS pretty often with a max of 14.6 mph when reaching. The lee bow was submerged a good bit, and I wonder what speed others are able to reach before things get out of hand. My boat has backrests, so hiking out is not an option for me. I normally use my jib, but was under main alone when the above took place.

I realize the Wave is not the fastest boat Hobie makes, but it is way faster than any monohull I have ever sailed, and I have nothing but praise for Hobie in marketing this cat. Great stuff !!!

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

14+ mph in those winds is pretty impressive!

I agree, the Wave is an awsome little cat, super simple, and extremely forgiving.

As for your lee hull submarining, have you tried raking the mast back? It is supposed to help. I have mine at the top of the 7 hole adjuster. Not too radical, some folks use a 10 adjuster, to get even further. Never noted any lee bow sinking, just some spray. :D

Oh, and I have backrests too, have yet to feel the need to hike out past them. But then again, I sail on a small lake, winds similar to yours. I have the quick pins in mine, so I can remove them if the conditions warrant. Last weekend we saw winds of 17-20 w/ gusts to 30-35. I did not have the (you know what's) to take it out, at least w/ my limited experience thus far (I have only had the cat less than a month). Next time I may!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where did you mount the GPS on your boat? I would like to get one and just not sure where I would mount it. If anyone has a photo of a mounted GPS I would like to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a small soft cooler bag that I tape my GPS to. By tying the cooler to the tramp with a short cord, I can move it from one side of the boat to the other when I tack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just want to know if anyone has gotten 20+ mph on a GPS while sailing a Wave.

If so, what were the conditions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I need to get a GPS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also use the 7 hole adjuster and I rake my mast back as much as possible. The downhaul is also very taught when the wind forecast is above 10 mph. With these adjustments I have a slight weather helm with main alone, and a slight lee helm when using the jib.

My jib is used until I see significant whitecaps, and it makes my Wave much more fun to sail. Especially if I have a passenger, because it gives them something to play with.

There is no way I would remove my backrests, because they make sailing so much more comfortable and they provide more security. I sail single handed most of the time and I do not want to be treading water as my Wave sails over the horizon without me.

My GPS is a Garmin eTrex, and it is the best 100 bucks I have ever spent.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=6403

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have trouble with the lee bow and have pitch poled a number of times and have come close a lot more. My wave is a 1997 and doesn't seem to have any adjustments in the mast. Have you added different parts? I am willing to try that. This past week end I put my wife in the lake and on the way there she some how cut her arm. so I am looking on how to improve that part of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been out on a few gusty days this year 15-20 knots and had someone on board with me, his GPS so he gets to ride, and with both of us on we maxed out at 12+ MPH (20km/h). I've gone faster solo but have not had the GPS with me to confirm it. People on shore 2 weeks ago said that I was going much faster than at any other time so far this summer. I’ll have to pick up a GPS for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was racing today with a friend of mine who has a Laser. We both weigh about 175 pounds. I have added a jib and a traveler to my Wave, so I would expect the Portsmouth numbers of my Wave to equal or slightly exceed those of the Laser.

To my surprise, I was much faster on all points of sail in winds which were 6-10 mph. It was really no contest, especially when reaching. My biggest surprise was that I could point almost as high as him when beating, and go faster.

Has anyone else had experience like this?

Loren

North American Portsmouth Tables 2006 http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tables2006.asp

MULTIHULL CLASSES USSA DPN WIND HC FOR BEAUFORT RANGE

****************** CODE BN 0-1 BN 2-3 BN 4 BN 5-9

Hobie Wave HWAV 92.0 95.8 92.8 89.5 89.2

Laser (Int.) LASE 91.1 93.8 92.2 91.0 88.2