Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Wanted the Getaway, but logic prevailed and I’ll probably get the Wave. Do have a question, though: I’m considering including the traveler. Does anyone have any insight regarding improved performance and boat handling?

Thank,

Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are some threads about the traveler below. A search may yield the info your looking for. What I remember from though is that everyone likes it. Being able to reduce the twist in the main on a reach really helps performance, and makes it easier to dump a little power without letting go fo the sheet.

I have one on my to do list for the winter FWIW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With all the recent posts on HOW TO INSTALL a Traveller on the Wave, there hasn't been much talk about whether or not a Traveller is indeed necessary...

From everything I've read so far, everyone seemed to agree that a Traveller (for the WAVE) is a big feature... until I happened to talk with Rick White by chance while calling around some of the dealers in the US who might have one in stock (for some reason Hobie USA is out of stock and they did not have a date when it would be available next.)

Anyway, he surprised me when he said he doesn't think one is even needed -- especially considering the price/benefit!!!! It wasn't just a casual comment, he sounded quite adament about it... and I didn't argue with him since I myself have not experienced it yet.

Later on I also found a thread on Cat Sailor where he had written the same thing:

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... Post114341

What's your thoughts/Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHT wrote:
With all the recent posts on HOW TO INSTALL a Traveller on the Wave, there hasn't been much talk about whether or not a Traveller is indeed necessary...

From everything I've read so far, everyone seemed to agree that a Traveller (for the WAVE) is a big feature... until I happened to talk with Rick White by chance while calling around some of the dealers in the US who might have one in stock (for some reason Hobie USA is out of stock and they did not have a date when it would be available next.)

Anyway, he surprised me when he said he doesn't think one is even needed -- especially considering the price/benefit!!!! It wasn't just a casual comment, he sounded quite adament about it... and I didn't argue with him since I myself have not experienced it yet.

Later on I also found a thread on Cat Sailor where he had written the same thing:

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... Post114341

What's your thoughts/Comments?
I too have read those threads on catasailor, and recall that one. One thing I remember is that alot of those guys use custom sails, w/ the lowest batten angled downward. Somehow this helps keep the sail shape in those broad reaches or other situations where you would want to travel out. I for one still want to get the traveller, as I see situations where the sail just seems out of shape, particularly when broad reacching or running. Also, in high winds you are able to better control the sail shape, flatten it, etc. The fact that the Wave is boomless, no boom vang, etc, makes it even more valuable to me. I don't know, but I had a H14 once, and havng used the traveller on that little cat-rigged boat, I can see the benefit applied to the Wave.

I think the reason the Wave does not have one, is to keep the cost down, and keep the simple boat simple. Which alot of folks might want. I don't think the traveller really adds to the complexity, but may look intimidating for a new sailor, seeing all that hardware, etc, what do you do with that thing, ya know.

Do you absolutely need it, probably not. Cost to benefit ratio? I guess that is totally up the the user. Just like any other upgrade.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For what it's worth, if I were building a Wave for my personal use, it would have traveler and spinnaker kits. I would pass on the jib kit.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KGB,

I've only sailed my new wave three times now but my initial impressions are that the traveler is definitely worth it. it really helps in the performance of the boat. Very straightforward and easy to understand.

I also go the jib (but not the spin). I like the jib but not as much as the traveler.

-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main reason for having the traveler is to keep the bows up in heavy air.

I like the coastal heavy air sailing.

Pitch poling is not on my top ten list either, though.