Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I just got my campsites at my favorite sailing beach in Michigan for Labor day weekend, but the wind forecast is only in the mid single digits. I was hoping to get a good weekend of sailing in but it looks like it will be a drifter weekend. Oh well it is supposed to be sunny and 75 all weekend long in southwest Michigan looks kayak and swimming weather.

If anyone knows any good wind dances please post a "how to" for me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still sounds like a good time! Kayaking is what I do as well when the wind is down. Love to camp as well. Although, never bring the Hobie when camping. :cry: Just too many other things.
I have found that wind forcasts are not that accurate. It seems that when they (NOAA) call for single digit winds, I will see up to ~10 or so. Then drops off later in the day.

Have fun!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOAA has given me the same results. I've seen both ends of the spectrum. A forecast of 7 where I ended up flying a hull most of the day (on a 16 with 420 pounds of skipper+crew) and then the forecast of 7 where you're embarassed that your boat can actually go that slow. Good luck this weekend.

1984 H16 - #80541

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We will have fun no matter what. We pull a travel trailer so he Wave rides on the roof of my truck, and makes for a great beach camp with the cat and kayak and all the other fun things to do like climb the dunes, watch the sunset, etc. etc.

I will let ya'all know how it turns out.

Post subject: Headed to the beach
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ilhobie owner. I would like to know what beach you go to for sailing? My son comes from Arizona to go to the dunes at Silver Lake Park with his family. The guys go dune buggying, and the wives and children stay on the beach. We are thinking of joining him in two weeks, and taking my Wave sounds tempting. I grew up sailing in the ocean in England on a single hull, but my Wave bucks like a bronco on our big lake when a ski boat goes by. :shock: How is it if there are waves? Does anyone know if it is better to go head on to the wake, or wallow sideways? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi:

Just got back from Weko Beach in Bridgman MI. Bridgman is in the Southwest corner just North of New Buffalo. The beach is a great sailing beach with a ramp right down the beach into the lake. It is a little rough when the waves kick in (I have pulled a couple large trucks out that got stuck trying to retrieve power boats in the past) but with a Wave or other cat usually not a problem, just drop the boat at the end of the ramp and push it into the water.

About the wonderful Wave taking waves, no problem. If the wind is light and large power boat wakes hit you there is little you can do but ride it out, but when the wind is working the boat rides over the waves very nicely, especially if single handed. Today the wind was from the South shifting to the Southwest and some waves built up, maybe 2 feet max, about 10 kts of breeze, and the boat was great. Up and over on the reach out from the beach and then some fun surfing on the way back in.

The "little" Wave is a very capable boat, when not overloaded. It is also very fun to load a crew on for swimming and just horsing around. Sat afternoon we had light winds, under 5 kts, and with 3 8th grade girls all sitting on the bow literally as far forward as possible, and half of the rudders out of the water, I was still able to make headway and control the boat to get them offshore for some swimming, and general fun.

I hope I didn't go on too long but I really enjoyed my Wave this weekend!!!!!

Let us know if you go and how it works out. At Weko this weekend I saw 2 other Waves 2 Getaways, 4 Hobie 16s, a Hobie Formula one, and several Hobie 14s as well as 2 Prindles. Lots of cats on the beach.