Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently picked up a 2001 Wave in pretty good condition for about $1500! Trampoline and sail are slightly faded and the graphics are peeling a little bit but other than that its in great shape. I picked up a trailer for $350 and put about another $50 into it for new hardware. Ended up with a sail-ready cat for $2000 which I think is pretty decent!

I bought it for my wife for a Christmas present as she has always been obsessed with sailing.

We took it out last night for the first time (neither of us had any clue how to sail or set it up) in only about 5 knot winds and we had a BLAST!!

Took us about half an hour to finally figure out how it is all set up and another half hour before we had the sailing part down. We sailed around our bay in beautiful St. Petersburg for about 3 hours. What a good time... can't wait until we actually have WIND.

Anyways, just wanted to say Hi as i'll be around these forums now!

Couple questions
1. Do they sell replacement graphics?
2. There is a tiny (1") tear in the sail, whats the best patching material?
3. The rudders are looking rough, can I use a cleaner wax on them?
4. Do you all wax the hulls? If so, what type of wax is best?

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Congrats on the good find, should be a very Merry Christmas for your wife!

You should be able to call a dealer and get replacement graphics. I've not ordered any in a while but they should be available still.

the 1 inch tear in the sail should be able to be fixed with sail tape. If the tape does not seem to be doing its job, sorta depends on where the tear is, you can contact a sail loft, a google search should bring some up.

The rudders locking down could be as simple as the cams needing to be lubricated, we use a dry silicone spray McLube. The cams may been to be replaced, if you order a rudder cam kit for a Hobie 17 it will do the job and they are easy to replace.

I've never waxed any wave hulls but I'm sure someone will be able to help us out on this question.

If you have any questions please let me know!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!!

Actually, I meant to say the white portion of the rudders are stained up (almost looks like a mildew) and was curious if a cleaner wax would work.
However, now that you mention it they are a bit stiff... I will look into the spray and if that doesnt work pickup a cam kit.

Do you think I got a fair price?? I was looking for a sunfish for her but I think this will be best in the long run.

As for the tear in the sail, it is a horizontal tear between two vertical sewn lines. I do not believe it can get any longer than it is because the sewn areas will stop it. Is there any particular type of sail tape that will hold or would any work?

Excuse my ignorance, I am a powerboater convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd say you got a really good deal. I would have gladly bought a 2001 at that price when I was shopping last spring. As long as it wasn't severely abused, these boats are pretty trouble-free.

Compared to a Sunfish, I think you'll like this a lot better. You can both go out on it comfortably and take 2 or 3 friends along. It does take a little more wind to make it go; but once the wind picks up, you'll go a lot faster with less chance of capsizing. My wife likes it because I can do all the work while she stretches out on the trampoline... no ducking under the boom, clambering across a centerboard or tugging on jib sheets like on our old boat. We'll even take a picnic out on gentle wind evenings.

As for sail tape, any sailboat shop or West Marine can fix you up. It's usually white, but you may be able to find it in colors. You usually have to buy a whole roll (much more than you need), so you might just ask around if you see other sailors where you launch; someone will likely give you a few inches of it.

If you didn't get an Owner's Manual with it, you can download it from this website. It includes rigging and sailing instructions. Plus this forum is a great source of info.

Welcome to the Wave community!

Bill

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey, congrats w/ the find, and welcome aboard! You made a great choice and got a good deal to boot! Nice Christmas present. 8)

I would try a cleaner wax on the rudders, or a plastic polish. It may work to remove the mildew. Maybe some wet 600 grit sandpaper, then follow up w/ plastic polish or wax. It wont hurt anyway.

You will hear alot of people tell you that you don't need to wax poly hulls like on the Wave, but I do for the following reasons: I use the wax as a cleaner, it does a great job removing stains and makes future cleaning much easier. Poly is slightly porous, so some wax remains in those pores, minimizing dirt collection. It adds a little exra sheen as well. So, wax away. You will find that annoying rain streaks wash off much easier.

As far as graphics, like sunjammers mentioned, you might replace them, or just strip them off and go for the 'clean' look. Getting new graphics to stick on an older boat may be tricky. Decals don't stick to poly real well.

Have fun w/ your new toy!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject: boat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Straight bleach on the rudders should do the trick, nice and cheap. Congrats on the boat and welcome to the dark side!

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Looks like all your questions got answered! Let us know if you have any more and we'll all chime in to help you out!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Re: boat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NCSUtrey wrote:
Straight bleach on the rudders should do the trick, nice and cheap. Congrats on the boat and welcome to the dark side!
Yup hadn't thought of that, If you do use bleach just be careful not to get any on the alum parts, that stuff can damage anodizing. Maybe a good excuse to disassemble the whole rudder system and clean/lube.

2007 Hobie Wave