Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for response and welcome. Right you are regarding tiller issue.

Unable to attend the regatta in Indy. :( Family plans supercede.

Locally: I just started sailing in the Ohio, which works out pretty well depending on the wind. The Ohio is really why I got the Wave. The Bravo was too small, and the H16 too tricky to launch.

More often I use the Bluegrass Wildlife area, which has two nice spots -- very narrow, but about 1.5miles long each, and very pretty and peaceful...great for practice and only 10 minutes from home.

When time allows I've sailed at Rend Lake in IL, Ky Lake, Patoka, Lieber state park near Cloverdale, and once at Rough River in KY. Overall favorite is Rend, but it is a 1.5 hour drive one way. Tried Carlyle in IL once, but no wind, which I think was unusual. Carlyle is the only place I've found other Hobies. I guess I should be thankful for the options available, but still wish I was closer to a larger lake.

What about you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry you can't make it up for the regatta; I understand the family comes first. It should be a good time.

I usually sail on the Geist Reservoir, northeast side of Indy, close to my home. This regatta is across town, on Eagle Creek Reservoir; it will be my first time on that lake. I have also sailed a lot on Lake Maxinkuckee at Culver (northern Indiana), and Deam Lake (near Salem in southern Indiana).

I grew up in New Albany, and my Dad sailed on the Ohio River there, many years ago. You have to watch out for barges (sailboats do NOT have right-of-way over them); and it's better to sail upstream first, in case the wind dies and the current carries you downstream.

I'm not familiar with the Bluegrass Wildlife area, is that in Kentucky? I've seen Hobies at Lieber, but I've only gone there for swimming. That's a LONG way from Evansville. I've always thought it would be fun to do a sailing/camping trip on Monroe or Patoka.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailing / Camping Trip:

Last Fall, I loaded camping gear in waterproof bags, strapped them to the A-frame of my Bravo, and took off for Ky Lake. You can camp anywhere in Land between the Lakes, so I put in at a ramp, and sailed all afternoon. Found a remote inlet, dragged the Bravo up on the shore, and had a great overnite watching a milllion dollar sunset.

With more room on the Wave, I plan a repeat, but this time with a mate. Camping and sailing do go well together. The roto-moulded hulls makes going ashore on rocky beaches a non-issue.

Do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Indy,

I couldn't help but notice that in the background of the 3rd picture is a Sol Cat 18, just one of the hulls that is. I owned one from 1974-1986, same color, and no matter what I did I couldn't keep it from fading. If that's original, and not a re-finish, next time you see that owner, give him a well done from me. By the way, do you know the sail number?.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Charlie,

Good Eye! According to our club's records, that Sol-Cat 18 is #3110. I've never seen the boat move, so I really don't know how long it's been sitting there or where it came from before that. I have spoken with the owner by phone, and he says he hopes to get back out on it someday. As for fading, he does have a tattered tarp on it, but our "Hobie Beach" is protected by a canopy of tall trees which blocks much of the harsh sunlight. So that's bound to be what has saved it.

Bill

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Dan,

I'll send you the PICS of my custom seats this weekend. I am not at my ususual computer at the moment, otherwise I'd do it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like IndyWave's approach, but I took the more traditional looking tiller route.

Basically mimics the setup of that on a Getaway, but at a fraction of the cost.

I have been sailing with my 'home-made' tiller for a few weeks now, and I can safely say it is worth the effort. I love having the ability to sit in different locations, ie farther foward when running, or light air sailing. One comment I will add, when sailing in really wild wind conditions, say where you are sitting pretty much under the tiller to keep the bows up, then you may opt to strap the tiller ext in place and just use the tiller as it was intended.
But my concerns about 'stress' on the crossbar seem to be unfounded. It works out great. The only issue I have is when the rudders are raised, the tiller extension must be flopped off towards the stern, ball lock bungeed as was suggested, or left to rest on the rudder housing. If not, the hinge tends to bind only slightly on the crossbar causing some minor scratching. This is due to the extreme difference between the up vs down postion of the crossbar.
Not a biggie though.

I began by mounting my crossbar upside down, see the pic, brought the rudders down, and postioned and drilled the hole for the hinge 5 to 10 degrees forward.

Again, here is a materials list for those who wish to try:
Hobie standard hinge p/n 10532010
yoke p/n 3205 ($16 for these two parts)
soft grip 3206 (from page 23 of cat, fits perfectly on the 1/2"cpvc)
(if you want to save the $9 of this Hobie grip, then opt for a 30cent CPVC cap :wink: )
60" length of 1/2" cpvc (I bought mine at Lowe's for less than $2) leave it at this length,
3' or 4' length of 1/2" wood dowel (sanded slightly, and pounded into pvc to stiffen)
a little urathane glue like 'marine' Goo to glue on the grip.

Here it is with rudders up Image

And rudders down while underway... Image

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject: strong
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have tried a couple of variations using this and the problem I always have is having to shave down the PVC on the end to make the tiller fully flexible and fit. Also the PVC usually breaks off within a couple of uses.

Any more details on what you did? Photos up close?

How's it working so far?

Post subject: Re: strong
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dragonslayer82 wrote:
I have tried a couple of variations using this and the problem I always have is having to shave down the PVC on the end to make the tiller fully flexible and fit. Also the PVC usually breaks off within a couple of uses.

Any more details on what you did? Photos up close?

How's it working so far?
I will assume you are talking about my tiller mod as opposed to Indywave's, posted previously in this thread. Mine has served me very well. No breakage issues at all. As posted above I used 1/2" cpvc, in the hot/cold water plumbing section at Lowes. Comes in 60" lengths, which I left as is. It fits perfectly into the stock Hobie hinge p/n 10532010. No shaving,sanding mod needed.
To stiffen it up I took a 3' section of dowel, sanded it a little to make it fit in the pvc snug but not impossibly tight. I pounded it in flush to the hinge end. This dowel reinforcement gives the tiller near perfect flexiblilty.

The nice thing is, if it does break, It will cost about $3 to build a new stick.

Looks stock too, once you lightly wetsand the whole thing to give it a nice feel and get rid of the factory pipe markings.

Hope this helps.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Poor man's (me) tiller extension:

A decent length of of rope tied from where the rudder meets the tiller cross bar, across to the other one, sort of like how one would tie runners on a sled.

It works well in light winds. In heavy winds, I am as far back as I can squish myself and don't need or want one.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

zzcoreyzz wrote:
Poor man's (me) tiller extension:

A decent length of of rope tied from where the rudder meets the tiller cross bar, across to the other one, sort of like how one would tie runners on a sled.

It works well in light winds. In heavy winds, I am as far back as I can squish myself and don't need or want one.
That is a great idea. Do you have the later ez-lock rudders/tiller or the original style? W/ the early style, I could certainly see not wanting a traditional stick as the tiller is pretty far forward as it is. Either way, if it is really blowing hull flying winds, I don't use the extension, I bungie tie the extension and just use the stock tiller bar.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've done this too, for downwind sailing (especially in light winds), to get my weight as far forward as possible. I sit on the front crossbar and "rein" it like a horse.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wanna Homie:

I have a 2008 Classic WAVE with EZ lock rudders.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

Post subject: Re: Tiller Extension
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed my new wave for the first time yesterday and really missed having tiller extensions.Having the sheet directly in front center of the tiller crossbar makes finding an extension something of a head scratcher.I really like the double extension setup made of PVC described in this forum and will be assembling one today.I will advise results after my next sail.THANKS!