Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been considering purchasing a used Wave (Club) and have a few questions. Since I've been sailing for quite some time, I feel that I can inspect the mast, rigging, sails and associated hardware without a problem. I'm not so sure about where the cross members meet the hulls. If the boat has been through a lot of rough seas and flexing, this area may have to much "play". What's a good way of inspecting this, and at what point do you walk away no matter what the price?

Also, I've noticed on the Bravo there has been a number of upgrades in the hardware and figure there has been upgrades on the Wave also. Is there a year where most of the major upgrades have been implemented? Just wondering what the differences are over the years.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some of your questions may be answered in this thread http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9466

The differences in the hardware are pretty minor over the years. Very early Waves had the H14 style mast base, sometime later ('96 ish?) they began using the current H17 style ball/post base. Otherwise, the biggest change was made in 2005, bieng the new EZ Lock rudder/tiller system, using the glass reinforced nylon rudder housings. These are quite rugged and easier to maintain. This system also keeps the tiller behind the mainsheet as opposed to the prior H17 style rudder assembly which had the longer tiller arms forward of the mainsheet. Some changes were also made in tiller connector joints, some of the 'connectors had issues (tendon style), the current 2007 tiller connectors seem to be pretty trouble free.

As for play in the the hull/crossbar rig, you can expect some, even in a brand new one. They are designed that way for easy dissassembly. I would think if it were really extreme, (walk away) there would be some cracking of some sort around the crossbar sleeves, as mentioned in the above quoted thread. If the tramp is old and stretched, it will seem alot worse. If it is normal play, some of that can be improved by tightening up the tramp lacing. Not sure how to guage what would be considered unacceptable play, other than to visit a Hobie dealer and check out a new one to compare.

Good luck.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a big rush, so have time to check out a new Wave to have a reference point. I expect to have to replace some items, but want the boat to be structural sound.

Charlie