Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main Sheet
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have the standard blocks/line for the Main Sheet... Is there any advantage in replacing these with bigger blocks and thicker lines? What would be the ideal size options and how much would it cost? Any part numbers?

Also, while rigging our new Wave, most pictures illustrated the Main Sheet coming from behind/over the tiller... but I noticed the arms on the new tiller are pretty short so we couldn't do it the way that's illustrated. Is there any advantages doing it one way or another? BTW, What does an extension arm do and what does it look like?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I'd try wearing out the stock main sheets first :lol: Racers will reduce line size diameter to let the sheet pay out faster, i.e. when dumping the main sail in a BIG gust.

The assembly manual photo does not reflect the new crossbar position behind where the main blocks attach. Manual was done in the mid-90's. Short tiller arms have been the norm for a year or two. You have it rigged correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DHT, there's another thread about Tiller Extension options, and I posted photos of my scheme. It's cheap and easy to assemble with parts from a hardware store.

A tiller extension helps by letting you move up in light air, but in heavy air you want to be way back anyway.

Another thing I added for heavy air, is a center hiking strap. I used an extra rope, loosely and occasionally woven through the center tramp lacing, with a chopped "pool noodle" for padding. The straps on the tramp are a little too close and a little too far away for me to slip my feet through, if I'm sitting on the seat pad.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again guys. I think it's a good idea to keep the blocks as they are for now... I stumbled onto another forum where Rick White has a ot of good posts on the subject, in particular he was recommending a 1/4" line called "Salsa" for the mainsheet.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

IndyWave, I did read your post on the tiller extension... I had a tough time understanding it at first, but I did get it finally LOL Thanks. I think we should be OK without it for now. I thought the extension meant extending the arms to look like the old style tillers.

On another thought, I found it a bit hard to manage the mainsheet line while sailing... it kept getting in the way and I constantly ended up sitting on it, etc... what the best way to keep t nice and tidy between tacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just toss it forward onto the tramp, being careful not to let it fall through the laces. You don't want to bundle it up in any way that would slow it down while feeding it out.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I plan on eventually upgrading my mainsheet, the stock 5/16" fuzzy dacron is not that smooth thru the blocks. In light winds, it almost seems to fat to flow easily. Definitely would not go any larger.

I will likely go to salsa, probably 1/4", just for flowability thru the blocks. I also have a ratchet upper block. This may be the best upgrade I made yet. It is switchable, so in light air, you can turn it off, when it kicks up a little, switch it on and it takes very little effort to hold. Harken makes this upper block, HSB411, available by special order only. See this thread http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=35616&an=0&page=1#Post35616 I think catsailor sells them. Contact Rick White. You don't need the whole system, just the upper. The stock lower fiddle works fine w/ a double upper.

Another good option, but more pricey, is the lower fiddle w/ ratchet https://store.catsailor.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=9243 like this.

As for the sheet falling thru the lacing, I don't have that problem siince I have the SE tramp, but I think the Hobie catalog has something called the mainsheet overboard preventer, or you could make something out of a strip of sunbrella canvas from an boat-top shop, just weave it thru the lacing.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHT,

I do like Wannahobie: toss the mainsheet up in front, and I drape it over my lap in light to moderate wind so that I can grab it without thinking or looking.

On a heavy wind day (God, I love those), I hold it in one hand at all times beacause when the hull starts to fly there's NO time to search and fumble, baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ordered some of Rick's recommendation on rope from Catsailor -- the Salsa line.

It's good because it does not knot when it's coiled or twisted. Also, it runs through the hands very easily. Just as Rick said.

...I got it mainly because it seems easier to kick the traveler around (the traveler is an add-on thing and is covered in another thread).

Nice job on the setup, from start to finish, DHT. That took some work I know.

There were several things I upgraded as I have gotten time to do it. Like getting bigger cotter rings to spin easier on the pins. There is a Boater's World store nearby and I have gotten an extra supply of pins and rings. Plus I installed a hot stick yoke that I got from Murray's on the tiller crossbar that I tie a rope to. Just tweakin.

It always seems like it takes time to tailor things so that you're in a comfort zone with rigging and un-rigging...and not just with in sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again for the responses.

About the mainsheet, I know everyone is talking thinner lines like 1/4", but last few years at Club Med I noticed some of their Waves had thicker lines (it felt like 1/2" or 3/8") -- and frankly I think I liked those more than stock one... They must have had bigger pullies to go along with them too. That's why I asked the question originally... I understand that racers prefer the 1/4" line... but that must be harder on your hands, no? Also, I feel the thicker line may be easier to manage (i.e keep from forming knots).

I must admit I like the idea of the ratchet blocks too. I haven't tried any so far but for now I think we'll keep everything stock until they wear off a bit.

On the other hand, I will definitely go for a Traveller... now that I understand what they really do... I remember in Mexico this last time doing a lot of reaching and/or broad reaching... and the sail was let out 2 -3 feet but it definitely needed to by pulled tighter... and of course without the traveller that was quite impossible.

BTW, does anyone use the Telco Cat Wind Vane? I think that would be another nice addition specially for the price ($36) and specially if it does what it is supposed to do.