Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 am 
Hobie Team Member

I just took delivery on my new '09 Revo and was wondering about positioning the forward rod holder. Most of the time, I keep my rod in my lap, but find the front holder nice while making a long paddle to a destination, as well as, unhooking my fish.

I would appreciate any input and/or pictures.

jd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:55 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I've always mounted one on the rail. Works great and is out of the way. If you have a 2009 boat be aware of the up/down rudder lines. They will move around to make room for the nuts/bolts. I also think the flush mount scotty would still work on the 09's

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:32 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks Guys,

I will have to play around a bit with placement.

Brad the Scotty base looks like it may be a bit wide. I will have to take another look. The RAM may be another option.

jd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I did this 2 years ago or so. I currently have the ram on the front, not sure which one I like better. I've not installed one of these on a new boat with the up/down handles yet.

We added a Scotty to the starboard side of a revolution today, seems like it going to work well. We wanted to be able to remove it and still be flush mounted for storage and transportation.

very sturdy part of the kayak, we were very surprised how thick the martial was here!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Scotty flushmounts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Be aware that the Scotty (rectangular) flushmounts are normally open ended, but can be ordered with an endcap.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:23 am 
Hobie Team Member

I personally like the scotty flushmount in that it lets you adjust to different conditions. For example you can use all scotty mounts and can also use RAM mounts by adding the RAM ball expanding insert. It also allows you to have a clear deck when not using a rod holder. When I fly fish the RAM ball has a way of becoming a real line magnet. Nothing worse than untangling your line when there's a school fish boiling at the surface right in front of you.. :?

Just my .02

Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:44 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Zeelander Said:
Quote:
When I fly fish the RAM ball has a way of becoming a real line magnet

:lol: I had to chuckle a bit. I,m still pretty green at flyfishing but I could be on a dead flat piece of glass and my line would find something to stick to. Snaps on the PFD, rod holders, paddle holders, paddle, fish finder, gps, VHF, ruddler control, mirage drive, other rods....and that's just to name a few of the culprits..... :oops: That's OK though cause I'm having a blast learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I personally prefer the adjustable tube RAM holders on the gunwale. I found the RAM revolution type mounts for spinning rods were a nuisance.
When I turned the rod holders outboard the boots of the rods were always in the way of my legs pedaling. The tube type keep the rod boot ends contained and out of the way no matter what angle you position them.

Post subject: paddling
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hy Guys just a question. Is it still possible too paddle with the rodholders / tubes in front of you. I wanted to install 1 in front of me on the right, but i'm worried that it wil not be possible to paddle with a rod in the tube fot trolling.

Sl Andor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes you can still paddle if the holders are far enough in front of you and you have long enough poles (6 feet +) swung a little forward and outboard putting your lines far enough away from the side of the kayak.

The pedaling is an ideal trolling speed so I myself rarely break out the paddle. I have the sailing rudder and you can turn the revo in a tight radius with that rudder and just quick short pedal stokes almost swinging the stern end around the bow as a stationary centerpoint. I have been amazed at the maneuverability of the revo with the sailing rudder.

I use the paddle only when I am in a position pedaling won't get me out of or paddling is my intent for the day (exercise).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Rev set-up similar to yours...2 Scotty rod holders/extension posts to clear for peddaling.Doesn't work. Bang...bang..reels...peddles.
Can I replace the surface mount with the Ram -type,and then add on the rod holders you have ?
Need a supplier for these type of Ram rod holders...Bass Pro Shop?
Also.will re-locate my Lowrance H2O GPS from the cup holder area to the mesh area like yours.Getting scratched up .Where is your battery located for the fishfinder?And transponder location ?I could use the other mesh pocket for that.As for the transponder..I would like to mount it just under my seat via the hatch opening in the deck in front of me .Nice looking set-up ,and some great ideas to work from. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramrod.htm has a list of dealers link on that top bar, I think Cabelas sells some models ..... I tink I actually ordered some particular models from RAM themselves I couldn't find in stock elsewhere. (Possibly the RAM 2008 tube model, eith built-in eyes for leashes back by my seat )

I like Revo_1756's setup, ROUND base on the wide part of the ankle-biting-alligator-teeth part of the gunnel, and a leash could be tied around the swivel arm thingy that raises it up. ( I just like round bases, they seem to fit more places easier for me, because my measuring skills suck)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little slow in replying sorry,

The battery bag is inside the hatch. I glued some velcro strips on the side of the yak inside the hatch. The battery bag which is the drybag I carry the entire system in (I use rechargeable "AA"s for now) is stuck to the velcro strips under the cup holder/mesh pocket. The cables come up through a drain plug with rubber stopper in the mesh pocket. I have my fish finder installed as removable so if not fishing it is not in the kayak. The tranducer sits in a foam block that was glued to the hull with Marine Goop and I add water. The setup works like a charm.

here are some pics

the foam block under center hatch: tightly holds transducer and just add water. I took off the mesh for clarity to see the RAM mount and the drain plug - note cap is attached by string tied to RAM base so won't lose it and the rubber stopper is attached to that string ready for use by a small brass eye screw.

The drain plug - cut off the cap keeper and just use the cap. Drill a hole for the string.

Next two pics show the portable system in drybag and the components:

The battery cable & transducer cable is fed from inside the kayak up through the drain plug and then the rubber stopper which is pushed into the drain plug opening leaving only enough cable out to reach the fish finder.

The fishing setup and note the anchor is wound on a cuban YOYO, no more tangles, just unroll anchor line cleat off then clip into anchor trolley and you are set. To retrieve just wind back onto the spool wrap with a mini bungee (to hold anchor to yoyo) and you are done.

When not fishing I remove the entire setup and screw the drain plug cap back in. This setup has the fish finder close and easy to read/operate buttons (in lieu of being in the mast hole at my feet) and when not in use the small RAM ball & drain plug take up practically no room in the pocket to be of any consequence.

The RAM mounts I bought at Bass Pro Shops or online at Kayakfishingstuff.com.

I hope I covered all the bases.

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the pictures...great help.Have just completed the conversion Scotty flush mounts : Ram rod holders,such as yours.However, I have upgraded my rudder ( sailing ),and added the rudder deployment kit ( up/down T-handles just above the mesh pockets on both sides ).
Since I enter/exit/fish from the Starboard side ...I will install the Mad Frog Liberator system on the Port side to hold my FF & GPS (remove the mesh ) to protect them better.I will still have access to the rudder line handle ( up ) because the Mad Frog table is high enough to reach under.No extra holes to drill,and completely removable for just plain kayakin' ( place the Lowrance H2O GPS in my PFD pocket and I'm gone but not not lost.
Awaiting the Attwood anchor rein system shortly ( Starboard side ).Since I trailer my yak, I can afford to install these items & mounts because loading /un-loading isn't a big problem.
Will post some pictures when all is said & done.
Enjoy the day.................................