Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie anchor trolley kit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Revo. I am right handed. My paddle is on starboard (left). I am thinking about putting the trolley on the port side (right). I was wondering if the trolley would work with the paddle being on the same side. Additionally, I was wondering if the trolley would get in the way when doing a self rescue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:15 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
1st off Starboard is right and Port if left..

you would need the trolley kit to be on the opposite side of the paddle. I don't think it would work well with the paddle in the way. I put the paddle, when I take one, on the port side and my trolley on the starboard with the stake out pole, I also fish from a revolution.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Popeye,

I have my trolley on the right .. I just posted some pics of my fishing setup on the open forum .. here is the link I hope you find it helpful.
The pictures are a little ways down in the post.

Revo

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11190

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Popeye

Thought would just throw in the pic of the trolley on right for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks... Do you think the trolley would get in the way when re-entering.. I am right-handed. It sounds like the right side makes most sense for righties...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Popeye,

Anything along the side of the yak could be an obstacle be it a paddle, a stakeout pole, or an anchor trolley. With practice you learn to work yourself over it. I keep a paddle leash attached to my paddle at all times. When needing to reneter, which fortunately has only been times of my own choosing, I remove the paddle from the side of yak and let it float away from the cockpit and climb in. I resecure the paddle after back in my seat. The things on the sie of the yak are no more an obstacle than anything you have hanging from your PFD. It is highly recommended you minimize entry obstacles and practice reentry with and without your equipment to familiarize yourself with the technique needed depending on the situation.

I also carry a North Water Sea Tec Rescue Strap. A strap with a snap clip on one end and a stirrup loop on the other end. You clip the strap to a padeye inside the revo and put your foot in the stirrup. This strap helps you reach the opposite side hand grip easily and to help lift yourself up and over the side. IMO it is a must have item kept in a PFD pocket.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The North Water Sea Tec Rescue Strap info:

http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... irrup.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, one more option:

I have also used a 4' heavy duty bungee with a carabiner clip on each end by attaching the clip on to bungee to form a loop/stirrup and clipped the other clip into the revo. Of course a bungee stretches a bit as opposed to a strap but it worked and was less $$. You could do the same with a nylon rope with a loop and a snap clip.

The rescue strap is also critcal if you are too fatigued or weakened from hypothermia to pull yourself back into the kayak.

It is also an essential thing to have with you (along with a tow rope) on a group outing to assist another should that situation arise.

I would like to stress something to all newbie yakkers. Contact your local kayak dealer or kayaking group and find out who offers basic through advanced kayaking/paddling courses. You will learn so much (even a basic paddling/self rescue/assisted rescue course) and save yourself alot of hardships or inconveniences.
Learning both Cockpit and SOT kayaks is a plus. Train to the skill level that meets your kayaking plans & needs. Never exceed your own skill level or the capabilities of your equipment - the life you save may be your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo,

Thanks for your advice. I like the way you rigged your Revo. It looks great.

When you clip the carabiner clip... Is it clipped to a padeye on the opposite side of the yak from the side you are reentering? It sounds like the bunge goes under the yak and you put your foot into the loop/stirrup that is under the yak.

It's hard to visualize.

When I first tried a re-eneter, the paddle always got in the way. I usually grab onto a scotty rod holder and pull myself up. You have some good point about the bungee and North Water Sea Tec Rescue Strap. The strap would need to be in the loop position to make it easier especially when in your pfd.

thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I actually learned about the rescue strap when my wife and I were taking a basic paddling/self rescue/assisted rescue course from my local kayak dealer. My wife was in a Malibu Mini-X which is 33" wide. She is a short 5'-2" and reaching the far side handle was a problem for her. The instructor gave her a strap to use and it made re-entry for her a breeze.
The length of the strap, rope, bungee (whichever you use) should be long enough to fall about 24" to 30" (this should be tested & adjusted for your personal length) into the water under the yak with a stirrup so you can get your foot in easily. Pull yourself up onto the yak with your arms and leg assist. TIP: You should always use your dominant arm to reach the far side since it is your strongest. I have used the interior padeye or the anchor cleat same side of re-entry. Opposite side may just pull your yak over on you. Remember the strap is an assistant not a step the interior padeyes or cleat may not support your entire weight. It just gives you that extra kick to push you onto the yak.

Attach a paddle leash to your paddle and you can remove the paddle getting it out of the way when you re-enter. The leash will keep your paddle with you so you don't lose it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "Keeper" Carabiner bungee 48"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo,

Good point about the anchor cleat might not support your weight. Based on what I am understanding, you clip both carabiners to the anchor cleat to form a loop on the same side of the re-enter.

The reason why I was putting the anchor trolley on the right side was because of the existing anchor cleat and I am right-handed. I thought it was suppose to go on the same side as the cleat. Fishing on the same side as the anchor trolley could introduce problems with the line and anchor line tangling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No popeye I did not say attach both clips to the inside. Clip one end inside yak the other onto the bungee itself forming a stirrup. A 4' bungee with both clips inside would barely reach the water. The stirrup is like a lasso and would tighten on your foot but it works. Might be rough barefoot. I have only done it with good hefty water shoes (Keen). You can use a nylon rope also by tieing a stirrup one end and a snap clip on the other and length to fit. You could do the double clip loop thing too just a longer rope/strap/bungee to get the bow of the loop low enough in the water for you to step into.
The Sea Tec rescue strap is adjustable and has instructions of use primarily for a cockpit kayak but will give you the basic idea of use and different options or just make your own. The single clip/stirrup end is quick and easy to use with a SOT kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Hobie Outback. I am rigging a anchor trolley this weekend. I will put it on the right side. I have spent a lot of time figuring how I was going to rig this and what would be the best for me and the way that I fish. I purchased a Hobie Stake Out Stick, A micro Harken clam cleat for I can quick release my anchor in a emergency. Found a 5 pound grapnel anchor for 9.99 at Academy at Bass Pro they wanted 27.99. It seems heavy but I fish a lot at San Luis Pass and the current their will still move you around. As soon as I get it rigged I will post pictures of it. I am going to modify what Hobie sells and I think it is going to be jam up and good looking too.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:20 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hey Revo 1756, I've never seen Ram tubes like yours in the pic. Any close ups? Where did you get them and how do they work?

Ted