Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:38 am 
Hi all, I have just set up my new revo with a Humminbird Pirhanamax 170 dual beam FF. I had a Pirhanamax 210 single beam in my old yak. I have gooped the transducer inside the hull between the mast and the drive. The problem I have is it has problems in shallow water. The depth read out can fluctuate between .7 and 1.5 meters, and just alot of hash showing on the screen. It works fine when in deeper water, like 1.5 meters plus. My old FF worked well down to .6 meters, no problems at all. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have any clues on what may be the problem?

Cheers,
Speedy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a bad transducer. About 2 or three times a year I smack the one on my bass boat and it starts giving false readings. If your mirage drive sits that close the vibration might give you some verticle lines, but you should still get a constant depth unless it's reading your fin on the drive. One last possiblility is you have an air bubble in your goop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 am 
Hobie Team Member

I've had several Humminbirds now and speaking from my experience, I get that all the time in really shallow water.
You didnt say how shallow so I will assume less than 2ft.

When I get to around 3ft, I start getting double echos....anything less than that, and I get alot of black, solid fills, 100s of multiple returns.

I think its just the really shallow water depth.

to be honest though....in water that shallow, I can lean over and see whats down there anyway.
Even if the water was super muddy, you are only getting a coverage area thats like 2-4 inches in diameter.
Whats the point in that anyway.

Just my observations.

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 pm 
Below 1.5 metres in depth is when the soundings play up. The reason I like it to be accurate to .6 of a metre, like my old sounder, is to know when it's getting too shallow for the fins of the mirage drive. I'm thinking it may be because the new sounder is a bit more powerful than the old one. I think the more powerful you go the less shallow it likes to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 am 
Hobie Team Member

speedy wrote:
The reason I like it to be accurate to .6 of a metre, like my old sounder, is to know when it's getting too shallow for the fins of the mirage drive.

You mean the fins arent depth finders in shallow water?
Maybe THATS why I spend so much money replacing those things. :roll:

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The book says that three feet is the minimum reliable depth reading, measured from the transducer.