Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the Hobie Pro Angler is one heck of a new innovative product. I have a few inquiries I wish to ask the forum. This is in no way in any shape or form relating to the Pro Angler but just some inquiries on the other kayak models.

1. Which Hobie Kayak is best for standing & fishing excluding the new Pro Angler?

2. Even with Sidekicks do you find the stance too narrow for good balance in a sleeker faster kayak and which model? Do you get ankle fatigue standing for a long period in a narrow stance?

3. Do you feel sacraficing speed by utilizing a wider more stable kayak with the ability to stand and fish worth the tradeoff?

4. With an only feet forward stance do you find it awkward or fatigueing casting/retrieving to the side of the kayak for a long period?

5. How often do you stand/fish in your kayak? If you do not then why not?

6. What is your experience in standing in the kayak in light chop or boat wakes?

7. How do you rate the importance of the ability to do all pedal, paddle and pole a fishing kayak?

I have found this forum so helpful in so many ways. I am looking into a second kayak. I have the Revolution which I am very happy with and just curious of other experiences with other models. I fish alot with my kayak but also tour, sail and use for exercise. Speed gets important in group outings trying to keep up with the 15 to 16 foot sleek gliders. I appreciate any responses to the inquiries above.

Thanks to All

Revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:44 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
You can stand in the outback if you must, however I do not feel overly comfortable doing it. I've not tried it with the side kicks but I would use them if I had to stand. The great thin bout the Mirage Kayaks is all of there speed it close, not the same but close. I've always fished from the revolution, and love the boat. I never thought I would ever change to anything else, I started in an outback. I liked how quiet the revo was in the water, however the pro angler is just about as quiet, and standing is my preferred way to fish now.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea—and you can even stand in the original narrow-beamed BigA, if you are so inclined—no outriggers, no amas, no floats, no sidekicks, no nuthin’. Here’s Andy, the guy I bought both my Outback and Sport from at Wilderness Way in Tallahassee, in the BigA. Only thing needed is a great sense of balance, and the guts to try it. Note, however, the turbulence generated as the boat rocks to either side as he attempts to get his balance when first getting underway.

I have tried standing, and could handle it in my OB. However, I much prefer sitting and casting, and can sit and fish comfortably in my original stock Hobie seat (2004 version) for 5 hours at a stretch with no need, nor desire, to stand. Now, if you are a dedicated fly guy, I can certainly see why it would be great to have a stable standing platform like the ProAngler, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info the AI is one I had thoughts of but seemed so narrow.
The sport and outback length may be an issue.

Standing in the revolution is possible but very rough on the ankles after a while. Even with sidekicks and after catching balance the narrow stance and the rocking gets to you. Not only getting under way but in any kind of light chop or wakes. Even fresh water lakes & rivers can get a bit bumpy at times.

I wanted some feedback on the other models thinking the PA is not the only craft solution in the Hobie Line. Believe me I am not dismissing the PA as an option.

Again I appreciate anyones feedback on this.

Maybe I put too much emphasis on standing & sight fishing. There are plenty of paddle models out there but I have become a Hobie addict and do not want to paddle a barge. Even in many paddle models the stance is too limited & narrow. Just curious on how others feel on standing & sight fishing in their yaks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's nothing more stable than the AI with ama's on. If I don't need to sail to get where I need to be, I often put just one ama on the kayak and it's just about as stable as with both. I feel like it has less drag in the water with one and it's easier to land a fish when you can bring it in on the open side.

The Adventure hull is pretty narrow so it's best to stand with one foot forward and one aft.

My buddy has an Outback with sidkicks and he stands in his quite often. It's stable, but not quite as much so as the AI.

We've both fallen off though so perhaps I'm not the best to give advice!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey weinerdog

So the falling off part? Was that due to narrow stance and loss of balance or that the AI or Outback was still too rocky with the amas? I know I found in the revolution if had to turn even just a little the close footedness was very shakey and nearly went over myself. Even with sidekick amas there is some rockiness.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Be sure if your using the AMAs for standing to put them in the down position. I assume you do, but I do not feel as unstable as you are describing when I stand with them in the down position.

In the up position there is room for roll.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 am 
Hobie Team Member

Aside from the type of kayak there are several factors that make standing easier for some people. Mostly, your sense of balance. Height, center of gravity, and weight will also affect your ability to stand. I fish out of a Hobie Quest and can stand while paddling if need be. But only in calm conditions and i don't feel terribly comfortable fishing while standing even though i have decent balance. However, i have stood in the pro angler and felt quite comfortable standing and felt that fishing while standing would not be a problem. my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I so appreciate all the valued input and responses.

archaegeo .. my amas are of course in the down position but even down some rockiness occurs.

bk1 ... Thank you for your input and I agree with your statements regarding center of balance, etc. I have good balance but in the slightest of waves and even on calm water the close stance in the kayak gets fatiguing on the ankles fighting balance especially if you move around.

I had the opportunity to see a Pro Angler LIVE at my local dealer and what a nice vessel it is. It is a FISHING boat for sure but definitely not a paddle craft. I utilize my revo for exercise pedaling and paddling while touring as well as sailing and fishing fun. The Revolution is such a grand multi-purpose kayak. That day was my lucky day for his last 2008 Revolution went on sale and I got a GREAT deal on a second Revolution at hundreds off retail. My wife can now join me on outings and I can even bring along a friend on fishing ventures.

Revo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Never saw the need to stand up. Even with a fly rod. I stand up in my PA just to show people how stable it is but then I sit right back down and fish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

barrel,

good point I did some fly fishing from the revo as well but thought standing would be easier with a fly rod as well as sight fishing.

Fishing seated in the kayak works just fine ... I just wanted to explore more options.

Now wife says no rod holders on new revolution, no anchor trolley, no fish/depth finder only room for hair clips, water bottles, suntan lotion and towel :lol: :| a fishin buddy will have to rough it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo, I've had the pleasure owning three Hobie mirage drive yaks. All three have only seen the salt, and all three are strictly for fishing. It's rare that I see a calm day on the water,and in most cases; standing up in the most secure kayaks will be trouble. On the issue of standing, I've tried in my Adventure, but the legs didn't quite seem to do what my mind intended... it's too narrow to accomplish anything PLUS all your movements must be precisely calculated. In the Sport there's more room, but not much. Thing is, even in my PA; if you were to catch a fish while standing...fighting it or landing it and trying to sit down would be quite a feat. Tossing a castnet, no problem for the PA. I tried it in both the Big A and Sport and failed. Being as though I toss a lot of plugs to blues and stripers, working a pencil popper or slashbait becomes much easier standing up; it's the fighting of the fish where your center of balance becomes questionable. Those issues on my end still need to be resolved concerning the PA(I know you were excluding all PA opinions, but it's best to hear it all). Fighting a fish in the other Hobies standing up simply isn't going to happen in the salt. On all my saltwater quests, steering while fighting a big fish is always a concern and generally necessary; standing up not an issue...sitting back down however you may be running into problems. If your targeting searobbins or porgies it's do-able...but I know that's not your quarry.
Not to assume anything, if you just wanted to stand and wave to somebody, all three Hobies will work; the Big A is still questionable.
Not to get back to the PA, but it does everything the other Hobies do; it's simply much more diverse in every application.The weight is not an issue what-so-ever.
Hope this shed some light on the standing issue.MJ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sfisto,

Fantastic feedback

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't stand to fish, but standing comes in real handy throwing a cast net to get bait. I'm getting an Outback tomorrow and due to those funny zigzaggy things in the footwells the only place I see to stand is with one foot on each side of the center hatch.... and that seems slanted like high heels :lol: .... My balance is ok, I stand in my 30" kayak fine now, but it has a flat spot where I can stand.

I have the outrigger things, but never needed them yet on my narrower kayak, I may put them on the wider Outback though since it''s "iffy" about where I'll need to put my feet while casting the net.