Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is hobie putting out a new kayak based of the fishing features of the PA and the speed of the Revolution. If so when is it coming out

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The thing is that the PA is just as fast as a revo. I dont know why they would bother. Unless thay wanted to make a PA easy to paddle.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmm i must be crazy, Cause i have a PA and also demo-ed the Revo before i bought the PA. The Revo was definately faster but too easy for my big ass to tip over so I bought the PA for stabililty and gave up the speed. Even on roadrunners post on performance and handling of the PA he clocked the PA as slower than the outback which in turn was slower than the Revo which was slower than the Adventure.
I actually was thinking about the paddling aspect of the PA. You can paddle, but I'd hate to be two miles out when the mirage drive takes a dump (just playing devils advocate) and have to paddle that big boy two miles against current back. It can be done but it aint pretty!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Every report I read from J-Bay on 3 different sites all touted the speed of the PA and how it easily kept up with the Revo's. In fact one person making the comment was a pretty well respected Revo driver known for getting the most out of his boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was one of them at J-Bay. Kept up with everything out there Hobie wise. Alot of Hobie owners were in shock at the speed of the PA. Mind you this was just steady peddle not the burst/sprint. I did play with the peddle adjustments some to getting it just right. I'm 6'3 with a 34 in seam and on number 5. The PA doesnt take off as fast but hey in the snot it really shined. There were alot of paddlers that couldnt make any headway out there in the channel, alot were going backwards. I think the speed is due to the way the hull is designed. Less surface in the water than other yaks.

Alot of nay sayers of the PA that were there sang a diffrent tune when it was all done. I even had a small crowed in aww while watching me car top it. "Thats it?!" I thought it couldnt be done?!"

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

where can i read those reports from J-Bay

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Same distance, same operator, same Drive, multiple runs: Revo by a figurative mile. No contest, slow cruise, fast cruise or sprint. I don't go any place without a GPS and have spent several hours in both boats. The Revo can pace the PA with one fin; bring your PA over if you think I'm joking.

Think about it -- the Revo is the same length, half the weight, 9 1/2" narrower with a cleaner hull bottom. The PA will keep up with many lighter and longer paddling kayaks due to the superior Mirage Drive; and the hull design is brilliant. Additionally, a well conditioned operator in any Hobie will look good against the field! But in the end, the laws of physics can't be ignored. Sorry if that disappoints some, but that's the way it is.

BTW, I think the PA is an outstanding boat -- this is to take nothing away from it. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I found various comments about the PA keeping up with the Revo at J-bay, especially in the wind and chop on the following sites:

New England Kayak Fishing
http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/

Kayak fishing Stuff
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/

Kayak Fishing Magazine
http://kayakfishingmagazine.net/

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 pm 
Hobie Team Member

We'll test it. GPS, a Prangler, a Revo and switched pedalers...There's no way that the Prangler will keep up over the course of a mile.

(760) 721-6195

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What im talking about is with and around other types of kayaks includeing Hoibes. You just don't feel or see the diffrence in speed when fishing. I never felt i was slower or stuggled to keep up. 250+ kayaks, every make and model out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

psychoclown wrote:
I actually was thinking about the paddling aspect of the PA. You can paddle, but I'd hate to be two miles out when the mirage drive takes a dump (just playing devils advocate) and have to paddle that big boy two miles against current back. It can be done but it aint pretty!

Agreed

see 4-5 hours of Paddling a river on a PA with occaisional real small rapids here (the 12 hours included fishing time) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12597

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You guys DO realize that the Drive will still operate in most states of disrepair, right?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8240&p=40489#p40489

In calm waters, paddling off the rear deck works quite well (if you have a place to stand):

8)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for reminding me RoadRunner.
I need to get an emergency toolkit together too, but I already bought a spare turbofin Mirage drive to tie down, just in case. I only have the one hand and might not do tools as well in the water..... but I still need to get my toolkit and spare parts together.

As far as paddling, I'm considering replacing my old one soon anyway with a 9 footer I found so the added length would be good for standing while paddling..(and for pushing off of boat docks wind trys to push me into sometimes while drift fishing the lakes/rivers around here .... and for whacking the swimming poisonous snakes that want to sun themselves on the boat with me)
(Total Length: 9' (274 cm) Up to 9'8" by special order)

Thanks again.