Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

can you use a different seat with a higher back on the outback or Revo, something like the GTS by surf to summit?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

You can get the original Mirage Seat. It was a bit taller.

# 81264001 recently became available again / reworked stock to replace straps.

Adapting another seat might also be possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Used a GTS high back for a while on my Revo, worked great.... Now use the stock seat with air seat. Th high back was solved with the cooler in back,, it picks the top of seat and supports it when i lean back,,, comfy...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

mmiller wrote:
You can get the original Mirage Seat. It was a bit taller.

# 81264001 recently became available again / reworked stock to replace straps.

Adapting another seat might also be possible.

That's great news! I much prefer the older style seat. It has better shoulder support and gives a little more leg room if needed. Those who like the newer lumbar support however, may not like it as much.

In this first picture, the old seat back is behind the new version. Note the height differences at the shoulders and straps especially:

This next picture shows the thinner profile of the old seatback and again illustrates the higher strap location for better support:

The optional i comfort inflatable seat bottom is vastly more comfortable to either of the originals. Unlike the new seat (seat bottom is velcroed on), the old style is one piece top and bottom. But the i comfort bottom can still be added by cutting the bottom off. Works like a charm. Here's a how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10141

Note: some of the earlier older seat backs had aluminum staves which were subject to bending and could cause a back ache. The latest of that group had fiberglass staves and were much better! You can tell the difference by using your knee to flex the seatback. If it stays bent, it's aluminum; if it springs back, it's fiberglass. That's definitely the only one you want. 8)

PS: The older seats also come with a MUCH larger pouch that you can put lunch, camera, tools etc. in, and has side pockets for two bottles :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Allllllright!!! Cant wait to switch them out Thanks for the input!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Here's what the old seatback pouch looks like compared with the current design. Some items shown are not necessarily included -- the water bottles with the large pack and the optional accessory package with the little Gucci clutch. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Not all of the seats will have the pack and both bottles. They will be sold as-is.

Another difference in the two seats is the length of the seat back support "batten". The newer seats are shorter... and the support battens are a bit shorter than that. The older seats have full length battens. The newer seat is softer though. The older is a bit stiffer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a plastic molded seat from Wal Mart. It is placed onto the canvas seat and then I place a gel pad in the plastic seat. You can adjust the straps on the canvas seat until it feels right to you. Then you don't need th worry about the fiberglass or the metal braces in the back. Try it you will be surprised at the difference it makes with a four or more hour trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinwater skinner wrote:
I use a plastic molded seat from Wal Mart. It is placed onto the canvas seat and then I place a gel pad in the plastic seat. You can adjust the straps on the canvas seat until it feels right to you. Then you don't need th worry about the fiberglass or the metal braces in the back. Try it you will be surprised at the difference it makes with a four or more hour trip.

Could you explain a little more about what type of walmart chair your using. Could you show us a picture?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

psychoclown wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

Could you explain a little more about what type of walmart chair your using. Could you show us a picture?

I do not have a picture, but the molded seat is a one piece seat. The underside of the seat has plastic ribs to strengthen th seat to stay ridged and so the back of the seat will not break when you push back into the seat. I tried to find a picture of the seat on the web, but no luck. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you talking about the plastic bass boat replacement seat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dcoates wrote:
Are you talking about the plastic bass boat replacement seat?

It is a very light duty boat seat. All plastic no cloth.