Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Started out Checking a new area to fish "LI Sound"

Million dollar view from the office.

First of three fluke "flounder for some" two 19 and one 20in all short. Sorry for the bad pic but wanted to get it back in the water. First kayak fluke and first fluke of the year.

Caught a 17in porgy "scup" on a fluke rig. First kayak porgy and best of the 10 years fishing the sound. Mind you i have been a mate on charter boats and never seen one this big.

Here is a shameless pic of my Silfisto style rod holders. Notice the bottom end cut off so the rod slides all the way in. I like these much better than the straight ones. You can angle them in any direction and is much more easy to withdraw from.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All looks good on your rigging. I can bet my last dollar those chopped rod holders are the cat's meow. Fishing for stripers and blues I'd re-angle them. Since I use those rod holders for trolling almost 95% of the time, there's a lot of stress on where they are attatched. In time you will experience what I'm mentioning. Not a problem, but that black accessory track is "iffy". A metal plate underneath will support it better.
What's funny is, carl 4X4 has adopted the system and uses a mini angle iron bolted to his adventure hull. The guy catches a headshaking ammount of big fish using the TNW exclusively. He too suggests supporting that rod holder. Just my .02 cents, but I want you to catch HUGE fish out of that PA. Keep up the great work!!!!!! MJ.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike,
Good note on the free boards. I did notice a little flex. Due to the fact that i have the holders mounted on the back. A small angle should work great for stiffing it up. This is a new area to me. I found the fish were holding in 21 fow in a hole. the 100 yard hole is surrounded by 6ft or less water and rocks. Kind of neat since the bait fish were stacked in there.