Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan... You make a very good point. And like you, I've seen virtually zero posts on the subject. I suspect some people fear getting tangled in the leash but that seems unlikely and is far outweighed by the threat of getting separated from the kayak. An unmanned kayak will blow across the water like a dry leaf, even in a light breeze.

Post subject: Re: Safety
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

Been a while since I've visited this site. Since then, I've added a few things to my OB. Shortly after reading this post, (back in the day) I think I ordered some of the SOLAS tape from KFS (Then) and used up that order on my 2nd hull. 2nd hull was replaced (Drivewell crack again) and I needed more SOLAS tape and I believe I found some at West marine? Anyhow, my current hull (The 08') I have 1" x 1' strips all over the hull! I even put strips into the gunnel wells for overhead visibility. I've changed my handle on another kayak fishing site to CGN-38 (The hull numbers of the naval ship I was on for 3 yrs active duty) and I affixed those letters and numbers on my hull using high reflectivity stickers so they glow as bright as the SOLAS tape strips. Added a down rigger, cooler/rod holder, multipul leash anchors with leashes.
Future plans include LED light strips inside hull,1 to illuminat the hull, and help see in the hull to grab something if needed.

Post subject: Re: Safety
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My safety items:

Below are in yak and on fishing milk cart
extra batteries
first aid kit
lineman pilers (remove hooks)
pancho (for rain and some warmth)
small repair kit (zip ties. extra rudder pin. hex tool for drive)
horn
extra knives (in panic it's very possible to lose knife)
rope
paddle float (for rescue. in ocean you need one to get back into yak)
2 bungue 4 and 3 feet in seat bag (used for stirup to aid in getting back into yak)
battery pack for vhf
head lamp
blinking red light
flag attached to rod guides 7 foot pole. If i use pole i move it to another one. (free at parades). Boater see me for good distance.

These items are always on me.
pfd
cell (in drybag on me around neck)
vhf (in dry bag on me around neck. even though vhf are rated for 3 feet 30 mins. it will fail in the ocean if you fall in. it happened to me. i called mfg. said 3 feet 3mins is for perfect bath water conditions)
rescue knive (leashed to pfd)
leatherman tool (in pfd pocket. leashed to pocket. you never know when you need pilers)
whiste (in pfd pocket. leashed to pocket)
signal mirror and whistle (in pfd pocket. leashed to pocket)
compass (in pfd pocket. leashed to pocket)
light (leashed to pfd)
gps (in drybag on me around neck)
fillet knife (attached to pfd)
shortie wetsuit (june to sept. this provides extra floatation and warmth if fall into water. even if you hit your head. the wetsuit will keep you a float.)

I fish in the LI sound. Cold water and unpredictable conditions.

As Dan said especially in ocean, I always leash myself to yak. There are many agruments on leash to yak. I would rather take my chances with leash. At least the yak will be with you. 5 foot bungee stretches to 7 feet with elastic band around it. doesn't get in the way.)

Best advice. Stay calm and have game plan of what to do. For example, if can't get into yak this way. try another way. try float seat stirup. horn whistle then call coast guard. remember about the radio can fail if wet. both my garmin gps and standard hoz failed in 10 feet water for 5 mins. had cell phone as backup)

fish on........