Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More rigging pic's .....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My version of the P.A. sliding track ........I can mount what I want , where I want .......Jim

You will notice that I added another level to the cutting board so it sits higher than the edge of the openning now .....

My version of the P.A. cart with bigger wheels to jump tall curbs with a single bound !!!!......

Last edited by synthnut on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Synt...I have the newer wheel set that Hobie has proviced for the PA, but the material that meets the road if you will (plastic) is very thin and is pierced by small pointed stones. My thoughts are that they won't last long...and I wondered where you got the wheels that are shown in the pic's?
Also I notice you both take your wheels with you when you are on the water. Any particular reason for that, as I generally leave mine in my vehicle. I'm very new at this, so am looking for all the mentoring you experienced hands will offer.:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got the wheels from Northern Tool ......They were about $50 for both of them shipped to my door ...They hold over 200 lbs for the pair of them and they are 16" in diameter ...I carry them with me as I never know if a storm is gonna blow up out of nowhere as has happened to me many times ....If you have to beach quickly due to a bad storm , and you have even had to walk your kayak to where you launched from , you will appreciate having your wheels with you .....Not to mention , I am surely not in any shape to Man Handle a P.A. without a cart !!!.... It's also nice to come back to where you launched and just pop that cart into your P.A. and roll right out of the water ...I use a lot of the room that the PA affords in FRONT of me , but I really don't use that much of the room behind me ...I never even used anything out of the fishing bag that I had with me.....I have yet to set up my included tackle boxes either ....I was getting use to my PA and saw just how much room I had and how easy everything was to get to ....Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Point taken about having the wheels with you. Now if you don't mind...the wheels you bought fit the same axle of the Hobie wheels, or did you have some modifications to do? You are using the wheel set that Hobie recommended with the two collars to hold the axle off the hull?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just looked at the picture of your wheels again, and noticed the wheel is showing outside the hull...which would imply it is not the same axel set that Hobie recommended with new wheels attached, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did not like the Hobie cart so I built my own .....I'm not sure what Hobie recommended .....I built my own cart using wheels that I wanted to use ...I checked the specs again ...Each wheel holds 180 lbs ......They have a 1/2 inch axle that I made using threaded rod .....The frame of the cart is made from 1 inch PVC that is lined with Electricians conduit to keep it rigid ....The top pieces on the frame that stick thru the scupper holes are made from 3/4 inch PVC also lined with conduit , and they have tennnis balls on the bottoms of them to cusion the P.A. from hitting any cross bar when it rests on the cart ....The rudder section sit's a good 1 1/2 inches above the cross bar on the cart when loaded and is supported by the tennis balls ....The picture is an illusion ...The wheels are not outside the cart ....They are set inside the P.A. .....I kept the wheels close to the frame of the cart for rigidity ......It works GREAT !!....It rolls smoothly, and the 16" wheels go over just about anything in their path very easily ....When rolled into the water, I can take the cart out and it floats .....Jim

Here's a picture of the underside of the P.A. and the cart that in this picture has the smaller 12 1/2 inch wheels on it ......You can see the tennis balls and the frame better ....Jim

Last edited by synthnut on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that track something you can buy and mount on the solid accessory surface of the PA, or did you make that yourself? Looks like a great idea! If purchased, where from. If made, how did you make it?

Thanks!!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ray,
It's called T-Track .....

http://www.ptreeusa.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the explanation of the wheels..and the great picture.