Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey John,
You are right on with your concern about getting your line fouled on an outrigger, OR the Mirage Drive, OR the rudder, OR the bow handle, OR the paddle, OR a cleat! No one ever said kayak fishing was a piece of cake--you do need to pay attention to what you are doing at all times, because Murphy's Law WILL prevail!. Good luck and have fun!.
Dick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach,

I had lost this thread and was getting ready to put outriggers on my Outback, so I had to hunt it down again. Its been so long since we talked about this, I can't remember: Can the outriggers be locked in postion, i.e. on the water, a few degrees above the water and vertical? If so, is that built in to the rodholders, or did you have to modify them to make it happen?

Are you still using the outriggers, and are they serving you well?

I am going to be going into the Gulf of Mexico, from a few hundred yards to 3 to 5 miles to some oil rigs, plus trolling some large lures. I am wanting the outriggers for stability. Also, have you fallen out at anytime while traveling with the outriggers? If so, did they aid you in remounting the kayak?

I have a 2005 model for the lake behind my house, but the trip down to the lake shore is so steep and hard to travel, especially with an Outback, I'm thinking of buying a new Outback or Revolution for the Gulf trips. At first I was attracted to the Revolution, but after more thought, the added space of the Outback is certainly nice. What is your opinion of the two?

Thanks, and thanks once again for this great thread!!! I'm finally going to use your invention!!!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ray,
Yep still using them, but mainly for sailing now. Since they use the RAM rod holder they can be oriented to any position you like. The smaller 1.5 inch ball mounts are the best since the handscrews can be tightened sufficiently to hold them in place on these.

I haven't fallen out under normal conditions, but did get flipped by about a 50-60 mph microburst from a distant storm while sailing. The mast ended up being stuck in the bottom, so it was a bit of a chore to free it. But since I could stand in the shallower water, and with a little help from some nearby Hobiecat sailors, we finally got it free and upright with no damage.

I quit using the outriggers for fishing and normal travel, since I didn't find them to be necessary on the Outback or my Sport, even for fishing a mile or two out in the open Atlantic off the Florida east coast.
Hope this helps.
Best,
Dick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Dick!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did you get your bouys so close together?