Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I Need your help with some suggestion as I am interested in buying a pedal kayak for fishing and general excercise. We go fishing most weekends and i am looking for a kayak that we can carry in our boat down to camp site. as we are a family of 5 children and 2 adults and our fishing trip alway consists of 3 boats to take camp gear so what I am looking at is selling my boat and getting a kayak that we can carry on hubby half cabin. It got to be light so we can lift it around and I am not the strongest of people. and I cannot carry it on my roof as my car is 2.5metres off the ground so it got to go in boats for transportation. I am leaning towards the outback at this stage but if there is a pink kayak out there it will win immediately as i don't have lots of spare cash so i rather buy the colour i want first off. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. You see the boat got to be able to carry a the weight of 104kg or 229lbs but this is changing. I have already lost 30kg or 66lbs and that the reason for getting a kayak so i can take my excercise with me and to help making this loss a permanent thing. Surely where there is a will there must be a way hey?? I love fishing so this kills 2 birds with one stone.
do you have any idea that can help me out
thanks Toni

Post subject: Re: Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Noone got any suggestions for me on carting the kayak? and what sort would best suit my weight?
Thanks Toni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Toni, you might consider a Hobie Mirage inflatable like the i12. They are rugged, lighter than the hard shells, stable, have a huge capacity, don't need to be car topped, don't need a lot of storage, and are easy to inflate. You can even outfit them for fishing.

None of the Hobies come in pink but you could add some pink accessories, reflective tape, etc. to get an excellent custom effect! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Road Runner for taking the time to reply.
What is needed to inflate it?? Air compressor??
thanks
Toni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
What is needed to inflate it?? Air compressor??

It comes with a pump that works very well or you can purchase an electric pump that will do all of the work for you.
I think the Hobie i12s is an incredible boat. It has speed, stability, durability, folds away for easy storage and is very light. Sounds perfect for what you want to do.
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How well do the inflatables handle sticks? where we go at times it can have logs hidden under the water. so i don't want to stake it. Also the grass is quite sharp is this a hassle as well? I just want to make sure it the best way for me so I want to ask lots of question now as I don't have a dealer on the corner. So I got to get it right as it has to be freighted to me. I am deciding on the outback or the inflatable?? The outback hubby going ot make a rack on his boat for it to carry it down to camp but both of us can see the advantage of the inflatable but don't want it to bust on me. Do they last as long as say the outback would??
Sorry to be a pain I appreciate your answers very much.
thanks Toni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The inflatables are made out of PVC with tiny fibers connecting the materials to make it rigid and extremely durable. PVC is what all of the high quality zodiacs on the market are made from. The Hobie inflatables are extremely tough, but being inflatable, they are not going to be able to withstand the beating of a rigid hull boat. If the hidden logs are sharp and you are hitting them at speed, you could puncture the kayak, although the inflatables do come with a repair kit. The choice is yours: more durability and strength in a rigid hull means more weight, lighter weight of an inflatable means less durable.

Did you look at any of the other rigid hull kayaks as an option?
The Hobie Sport has a hull weight of only 48lbs/21.77kg. That's 5lbs. lighter than the Hobie i12s (which has hull weight of 53lbs./24.04kg.). The Hobie Outback is only 9 pounds heavier than the Hobie i12s with a hull weight of 62lbs./28.12kg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Mate, I did look at the sport but the reason for not choosing her is mainly at this stage is my weight is heavier then it maximum with no cargo. At the moment I still weigh 105kg. I know lot better than my 136kg that i started this journey at but it still heavier. But by the time I get the money together I may be at that weight.
thanks Toni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toni,
when we were deciding what kayak to get we tested the Sport, Outback, and Revolution. out of the three I felt the Outback was the most stable, then the Revolution, then the Sport. my son and I are both over 6' tall and the Sport just felt too cramped and tippy. we ended up buying a Outback to go with the Pro Angler I already had.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Mate you just helped confirm my decision I am going to get the outback as soon as my tax cheque comes back.
thanks Toni